Bettas and pH

BAT

I think in the wild they can be found anywhere between 6,0-8.0 pH.

But in captivity, it may be more relevant what water the fish was bred and raised in.

Has your water always been around 6.5 pH? Or has it recently changed to that? Many species of fish are likely more reactive to pH swings that to some specific, stable, long-term pH.

One thing I personally avoid is "chasing" a particular pH (or parameter) with chemicals. There are products called "pH up / pH down" that can nudge your water one way or another. I prefer to avoid that. Just go with what you have as your regular source.

• Like 1

Bettas are not sensitive to the actual pH number, but they are sensitive to unstable pH. So, keeping it stable is the key (as long as it's within the normal parameters). I also don't "chase" pH numbers (unless I were keeping something that did need a specific pH).

• Love 1

On 2/24/2022 at 11:29 PM, AndreaW said:

Bettas are not sensitive to the actual pH number, but they are sensitive to unstable pH. So, keeping it stable is the key (as long as it's within the normal parameters). I also don't "chase" pH numbers (unless I were keeping something that did need a specific pH).

This this this! Couldn’t have said it betta….(ha!) Stability over a magic number everytime.

Thanks all!  I had been using spring water for a while and got used to seeing pH in mid 7s. Then i stopped worrying about the pH. I recently switched to tap water and decided to check the pH and noticed it was in the low to mid 6s and got a bit nervous. Fish and snails seem unbothered.