How do you cleaning NEW (Never been used) aquarium?

KittenFishMom

I just bought 2 new 15 gallon aquarium tanks, from a store. What is the best way to clean them before I setting them up? I remember seeing a video saying to use Dawn to get any oily film off them, but I can't find that video. The manufacturer says to just wipe with a damp cloth. These tanks look a bit dirtier than what a damp cloth can handle. 

How do you clean an aquarium that has never been used before? 

Thanks in advance !!!

On 2/24/2022 at 2:52 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I just bought 2 new 15 gallon aquarium tanks, from a store. What is the best way to clean them before I setting them up? I remember seeing a video saying to use Dawn to get any oily film off them, but I can't find that video. The manufacturer says to just wipe with a damp cloth. These tanks look a bit dirtier than what a damp cloth can handle. 

How do you clean an aquarium that has never been used before? 

Thanks in advance !!!

I would not put soap in them!

Anywho, with that small of tanks you can easily take them outside, put them on their side and rinse out real well with a garden hose. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 5:59 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I would not put soap in them!

Anywho, with that small of tanks you can easily take them outside, put them on their side and rinse out real well with a garden hose. 

It is suppose to snow 8 inches tonight... I think I will use the bath tub 🙂

(Note: I have thick pads in the tub for insulation. The tub is cast iron. I put 3 bathtub pads crosswise and the water stays warm enough for a good soaking)

Edited by KittenFishMom
added Note
  • Like 1

Well that didn't turn out as I had hoped.

The tap water was cloudy, so we changed the partially clogged filter, now the water is gray from the sediment that built up while the flow was reduced.  I also found ammonia in in the tap when I tested it. Won't be filling those tanks for awhile. ☹️

More details under the thread Tap water has ammonia

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Sad 1

On 2/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Well that didn't turn out as I had hoped.

The tap water was cloudy, so we changed the partially clogged filter, now the water is gray from the sediment that built up while the flow was reduced.  I also found ammonia in in the tap when I tested it. Won't be filling those tanks for awhile. ☹️

More details under the thread Tap water has ammonia

Most tap water has ammonia, due to municipalities using the more stable, longer lasting chloramines to protect us from the fact we tend to pollute water. 

Dawn dish soap is the same thing we use on seals, otters and sea birds negatively impacted by oil spills. It cuts through the oil residue, and rinses clean even in lukewarm water. Just keep rinsing until there is no smell *and* no bubbles.

I use a Pür filter to filter the water I use in water changes. I use Prime to neutralize the chloramine in my tap water. 

I use 2 drops of Prime for each gallon of water if I can't smell the chlorine. If I can smell the chlorine, I test the tap water for nitrates and ammonia. The Prime bottle has pretty decent directions for dealing with the elevated ammonia levels, just remember to add extra airstones if you have livestock in the tank, and need to use 5x the recommended amount. 

I used to just rinse well wiping all surfaces, leak test, then dry the outside and set up until I saw that @Dean video.  Now new tanks get a squirt of Dawn and a good washing because they do have a hint of oily residue on the glass when brand new.  Then I rinse like mad, leak test, etc, as usual.

• Thanks 1