“Some Little Brown Fish”

Fish Folk

Several years ago, before COVID shut down things, Cory spoke at our fish club. Some folks stayed after, and we did a circle discussion. I asked him about how to categorize different kinds of fish-keepers. His answer was really fun. One thing he said was, “There’s always at least one old guy in every fish club who sits in the back corner and is just in love with some little brown fish.”

I aspire to be that guy 😂

Today, I’m still in love with my new little brown Sunfish (Enneacanthus obesus).

Check this fun swamp fish out…

Most of the time, he’s in the back. Or in the dark. Or under the wood. I am yet to see the other one…

(wait! I just saw her!!)

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 9
  • Love 4

Agree completely, for me it is a West African Cichlid out of the Congo river that goes by the name of Teleogramma brichardi and I have no idea why. They can be mean as heck and do a good job hiding but they get my attention for some reason. Now I  just have to find them again.

Very awesome. I would say mission accomplished but you do have an assortment of the most colorful fish ever as well. 😁 I always though the silly brown sunfish native to my area with the translucent fins that have just an ever so slight hint of sky blue were the most beautiful. As a kid I would bring little ones home and raise them until they got too big. I still sit on the dock and stare at them for hours. 🥰

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I’m joining this club, too.  I’m still waiting on my Betta persephones which are a mostly brown/black fish with a bright blue eye. Males have that bit of blue on the tail, females might have some.

The hummingbird tetras (which didn’t ship yet because of freezing weather) that I fell in love with from a video, that I’ve never even seen in person, are transparent.  Clear.  No color at all.  None.  Glass fish only about 1/2” to 3/4” at maturity.  The tiniest little invisible fish.  I spent almost $200.00 on 20 fish after shipping that I have no idea if I’m going to like them in person.  Because they’re clear.

Until the light hits them just right.  I have no idea if my lights are going to be right for them.

Have I lost my mind?

1. I’m getting this (Betta persephone).

2. And hoping for this.

3. I’m getting this (Trochilocharax ornatus - hummingbird tetras).

4. And hoping for this.

3DD4958B-5FEE-459F-ACC6-6A793E385A4C.png

3E9552A9-5734-4816-9538-A6FF112FDF83.png

025C67BD-70DA-43C8-8B23-496067F8B533.png

C07326F1-8465-41B4-951B-6A8195A16B90.png

Edited by Odd Duck
Add photos.
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Nothing wrong from what I read. Those tetras are really neat! I thought about keeping some. But I  fell in love with embers. Then my husband didn't like embers and wanted harlequins... So I have 12 healthy harlequins instead.

I hope your lights make them pop like that! I think they'll still be neat to look at, regardless.

I was on the hunt for a "little brown fish" myself after reading fish folks thread. 😂 But I haven't found a true brown guppy... Just a chocolate Moscow and that's just too much tail.

On 2/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, Patrick_G said:

@Odd Duck, I bought a Chihiros WRGB 2 light. It’s not cheap but it makes those less colorful fish pop. 

I’ve got a Beamswork 6500 LED with wrgb that I’m hoping will work.  The fish were going to go straight into the tank since they will be the only fish, but I just can’t do it.  So they will go into a QT tank instead, the 10 G with matten as substrate I just put together.  Then in a month will go into the tank.  If they don’t settle and show like I want, then I’ll get the Chihiros light.  I’m not completely happy with the Beamswork anyway, so I’m open.

On 2/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, Minanora said:

Nothing wrong from what I read. Those tetras are really neat! I thought about keeping some. But I  fell in love with embers. Then my husband didn't like embers and wanted harlequins... So I have 12 healthy harlequins instead.

I hope your lights make them pop like that! I think they'll still be neat to look at, regardless.

I was on the hunt for a "little brown fish" myself after reading fish folks thread. 😂 But I haven't found a true brown guppy... Just a chocolate Moscow and that's just too much tail.

Embers are great.  I’ve got a bunch with Kubotai rasboras in my 100 G nanofish tank along with chilis and a few stray CPD’s, then cories, bristlenoses, and my gold nugget pleco.  Oh, and probably still has my clown pleco that I see every 3-4 months.

And some Amanos that I see randomly.

Edit to add: I almost forgot my little otos and Kuhlis.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 3

On 2/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve got a Beamswork 6500 LED with wrgb that I’m hoping will work.  The fish were going to go straight into the tank since they will be the only fish, but I just can’t do it.  So they will go into a QT tank instead, the 10 G with matten as substrate I just put together.  Then in a month will go into the tank.  If they don’t settle and show like I want, then I’ll get the Chihiros light.  I’m not completely happy with the Beamswork anyway, so I’m open.

🙄 y’all advanced light NERMs… 😎

• Haha 2

On 2/25/2022 at 8:48 AM, Odd Duck said:

If they don’t settle and show like I want, then I’ll get the Chihiros light.  I’m not completely happy with the Beamswork anyway, so I’m open.

I was intrigued after seeing @Mmiller2001’s side by side comparison to the Fluval 3.0 and @Ryo Watanabe’s YouTube videos. When I set up that tank I’ll do a little side by side demo with lower budget light

On 2/25/2022 at 8:51 AM, Fish Folk said:

You’ve got your priorities straight, the lights shouldn’t cost more than the fish!  😆

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 10:51 AM, Fish Folk said:

Hah! These were the cheapest lights I could get from smiley online store that fit the color spectrum I had read was appropriate.

On 2/25/2022 at 10:54 AM, Patrick_G said:

You’ve got your priorities straight, the lights shouldn’t cost more than the fish!  😆

I guess I’m still OK, then, since my fish will be costing far more than my $17.00 light.

Edited by Odd Duck
Corrected price of light.
  • Haha 2

Sunfish are under rated.  In college I kept a green sunfish.  Converted him over to pellets and he was about as interactive as most cichlids and in general a fun fish to watch.  I had him in a 29, which looking with the prism of being 15 years older seems far too small.  

Will be interesting to see if they'll spawn for you, that would be very cool.  And to see the male's breeding colors, of course! 🙂

• Like 1