Building up aquascape substrate

crashnburn55

I'm new to the hobby and want build up a hill as part of an aquascape in an aquarium. I saw one example that used a volcanic mineral substrate as the base of the hill then put the aqua soil on top prior to planting.  Is there a benefit, structurally or ecologically, to using a different type of substrate like the volcanic mineral substrate to build up the elevated areas, or "hills" in an aquascape if I am using Eco-Complete substrate? Could I just build up the elevated areas, or "hills" with just extra Eco-Complete substrate or am I missing something?

• Like 1

One tip is to put lava rock in media bags and use it to add height. You can use small plastic pieces and strategically placed rocks to hold the substrate as well. I am a fan of deep substrate beds as I feel more substrate I have in a tank, less problems it gives in a long run specially if you dont have good filtration. 

• Administrators

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of 'hills' and sloped substrate as well. I do it in all my scapes as I feel it adds depth to the aquarium visually. I think I've been told the reason aquascapers use volcanic rock specifically is because it is quite porous, it doesn't allow as much anaerobic bacteria to build up beneath the surface of the substrate. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have anaerobic bacteria if the substrate remains undisturbed, but it can be problematic if the gases from the bacteria escape into the water column. Lava rock allows oxygen to flow a bit more freely and adds some minerals for the plants.

However, there are no rules. I just use inert gravel to create slopes simply because it's cheaper than using all aquasoil. For a big tank, eco complete or fluval stratum can really add up! Like Candi mentioned, aquasoil will also begin to break down after awhile (years), whereas gravel or volcanic rock will not. So it holds its shape a bit better long term.

I learned from James Findley of The Green Machine (now defunct) to use black corrugated plastic.

cp484bk.jpg.ab4e58447ecf768e0ffbf2006a650d79.jpg

Cut into strips it can be used like a retaining wall to hold up substrate from sliding down. His old videos are all very inspiring to watch and learn from. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for the helpful tips and responses.  Now I get why the volcanic mineral or some type of scaffolding/porous yet more solid structure could be beneficial to the tank, as well as my wallet.  Makes sense.

For drift wood placed in my freshwater tank, should it be boiled with salt to kill any potential unwanted "hitchhikers?"  I read some blogs that there are some things that may survive the boiling water, but not the "curing" process with salt water.   Would it be beneficial to boil with salt water and then re-boil with fresh water to get rid of the salt from the wood?

5 hours ago, crashnburn55 said:

Thank you all for the helpful tips and responses.  Now I get why the volcanic mineral or some type of scaffolding/porous yet more solid structure could be beneficial to the tank, as well as my wallet.  Makes sense.

For drift wood placed in my freshwater tank, should it be boiled with salt to kill any potential unwanted "hitchhikers?"  I read some blogs that there are some things that may survive the boiling water, but not the "curing" process with salt water.   Would it be beneficial to boil with salt water and then re-boil with fresh water to get rid of the salt from the wood?

I have not heard of anyone boiling driftwood in salt water. I know that a lot of people boil in plain water to help it sink and to try and leech tannins out before putting in a tank. Most of the driftwood I've used in my tanks has been "wild collected" and to be honest all I've ever done is wash it really good, I usually just use my hose outside and a scrub brush. I know a lot of people will say that I could introduce pests etc, but when I collect the wood, its all dried up and washed on the shores or banks of the lakes, rivers etc. The stuff that I have bought in a store, I have done just the same thing, rinse it off, and put in my tank. If it floats, I either let it float until it becomes water logged or use a couple larger rocks to hold down. 

• Like 2