Live food and bad luck.

NetBelleAnie

So, I've been having a bad day.  It was snowing today after 2 weeks of it being 65 degrees out, and it's been downright chilly inside.  Been hatching brine shrimp at 65 degrees (I don't have a dedicated heating for my fish hallway), so I harvested some of them at the 2 day mark today, and was going to harvest more tomorrow hopefully.  My hatchery was currently standing on the floor, in front of the counter where I store excess hardware tools

I ordered a new grindal worm/ microworm culture a week ago and they arrived early, to my mailbox down the hill a quarter mile from the house, where it is still 40 degrees outside.  So I frantically brought them in, and went to look for a tool to make hole punches for the lid of the tupperware since my dremel is not cooperating with me.  I was going through the drawer when I heard a knock, felt a wet splash and realized that I have now spilled about 1.5 liters of salt water and brine shrimp eggs onto the floor, over my socks and everywhere else..  I'm attempting cleanup, but I expect eggs will be everywhere since the floor is tilted slightly and there's a pile of stuff I have to remove to clean up everything.

To add insult to injury, I'm not sure how my worm cultures will fair.  When I opened the box, it was upside down, the microworm lid was coming off at the corner, and I haven't seen a single worm in the grindal worm culture yet.  I'm hoping getting everything to room temp will improve things, but at the moment, I'm just feeling kinda miserable.   

What we do to keep our pets happy.

IMG_20220222_180004142.jpg

Edited by NetBelleAnie
added pic.
  • Sad 2

One day, you will be able to share this story with another aquarist who has had a bad day, and it will bring a much needed laugh.

Right now, it's still too wet, too cold, and too frustrating for a sense of humor to turn it into a funny story. 

I'm sorry you had a no good, very bad, day.

Just wanted to say thanks everyone.  I managed to clean everything up, and my baby cories and guppies are getting some decapsulated brine shrimp untill I get hatching again.  Washing the towels a second time hopefully will remove the smell, if not it'll be an emergency fish and boating towel.

The microworms are doing just fine, but I've yet to see any grindalworms, hopefully they're not dead.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, NetBelleAnie said:

Just wanted to say thanks everyone.  I managed to clean everything up, and my baby cories and guppies are getting some decapsulated brine shrimp untill I get hatching again.  Washing the towels a second time hopefully will remove the smell, if not it'll be an emergency fish and boating towel.

The microworms are doing just fine, but I've yet to see any grindalworms, hopefully they're not dead.

If you are able to soak towels overnight in baking soda water (add a couple of cups with your detergent, or use OxyClean), and then add 2 cups of vinegar in the morning to finish the wash cycle, the smell will be gone.

Also works on skunk sprayed clothes (double the amount of OxyClean and after soaking 12 hours, double the vinegar) and cat spray.😬

[I am not exaggerating when I say I learn best, by finding the ways that don't work]

On 2/22/2022 at 8:58 PM, NetBelleAnie said:

So, I've been having a bad day.  It was snowing today after 2 weeks of it being 65 degrees out, and it's been downright chilly inside.  Been hatching brine shrimp at 65 degrees (I don't have a dedicated heating for my fish hallway), so I harvested some of them at the 2 day mark today, and was going to harvest more tomorrow hopefully.  My hatchery was currently standing on the floor, in front of the counter where I store excess hardware tools

I ordered a new grindal worm/ microworm culture a week ago and they arrived early, to my mailbox down the hill a quarter mile from the house, where it is still 40 degrees outside.  So I frantically brought them in, and went to look for a tool to make hole punches for the lid of the tupperware since my dremel is not cooperating with me.  I was going through the drawer when I heard a knock, felt a wet splash and realized that I have now spilled about 1.5 liters of salt water and brine shrimp eggs onto the floor, over my socks and everywhere else..  I'm attempting cleanup, but I expect eggs will be everywhere since the floor is tilted slightly and there's a pile of stuff I have to remove to clean up everything.

To add insult to injury, I'm not sure how my worm cultures will fair.  When I opened the box, it was upside down, the microworm lid was coming off at the corner, and I haven't seen a single worm in the grindal worm culture yet.  I'm hoping getting everything to room temp will improve things, but at the moment, I'm just feeling kinda miserable.   

What we do to keep our pets happy.

IMG_20220222_180004142.jpg

Been there. Been there. Been there. *sigh*