Smell from quarantine tank

Tarazzl

Hey guys, I started a small quarantine tank/tote (about 5 gallon) yesterday as I got 2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis and 1 Blue Ram Cichlid.  I put the water conditioner and aquarium salt mixture into the water; added pea gravel as substrate; a new PVC pipe from the Home Depot and a clay pot as hiding spots for them; I also have a submersible filter(works up to 10 gallon).  

When I went and fed them today, I smelled something pungent from the tank, it's like something is rotted. But the fish are fine, they are not acting weird, they are eating ok. I gave them Hikari brand food.  I'm not sure where is the smell coming from and what causes it?  The water was not taken from my exsiting aqurium, so I'm missing something here.

Is there any theory out there to help me narrow down the cause?  Thank you!🙏

Edited by tarazzl29

On 2/22/2022 at 6:33 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

The water shouldn't have a foul odor. I would do a water change.

Thank you. I did it about an hour ago. We will see what happens.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:38 PM, Flumpweesel said:

If your gravel is deep give it a stir or could it be your water conditioner prime certainly has unpleasant smell it might linger in a plastic tote.

It makes sense. Although I didn't put lots of gravel, I probably did not let the mixture totally dissolve and mix throughly, and I did think about the material of the tote too. So I'm guessing it's all of the above reasons you mentioned. I did a water change again about an hour ago, just to be safe. Thank you so much!

On 2/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, Tarazzl said:

Hey guys, I started a small quarantine tank/tote (about 5 gallon) yesterday as I got 2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis and 1 Blue Ram Cichlid.  I put the water conditioner and aquarium salt mixture into the water; added pea gravel as substrate; a new PVC pipe from the Home Depot and a clay pot as hiding spots for them; I also have a submersible filter(works up to 10 gallon).  

When I went and fed them today, I smelled something pungent from the tank, it's like something is rotted. But the fish are fine, they are not acting weird, they are eating ok. I gave them Hikari brand food.  I'm not sure where is the smell coming from and what causes it?  The water was not taken from my exsiting aqurium, so I'm missing something here.

Is there any theory out there to help me narrow down the cause?  Thank you!🙏

Brand new tank is what it sounds like, with no established filter media?

What are your water parameters from the tap, and also in the tank?

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2022 at 6:46 PM, Torrey said:

Brand new tank is what it sounds like, with no established filter media?

What are your water parameters from the tap, and also in the tank?

My water parameters were ok. It turned out to be the water prime I use. Thank you. 🙂

• Like 1