Ammonia up, Discus coming today.

Willie T

Hello everyone thanks for any help. So my tank 75 Gallon tank has been cycled for about 8 weeks, I added fish about 2 weeks ago everything has been great, am expecting a shipment of discus today so I did a 60 ish % water change and when I did the water change, I had about 40ppm of NitrAte after the water change I had about 5ppm, fed the fish yesterday after water change , and yesterday morning, tested the water last night, and the nitrates were gone, readings were 0,0,0. Thought maybe hey it’s just clean, there only about 10 small fish in there, tested this morning and the was about 2ppm ammonia 0 nitrite , 0 nitrate?? I guess I removed all the beneficial bacteria when vacuuming the substrate… added prime and stability, but my discus will be here today and I have to put them in the tank. Any suggestions to keep them alive till I get more Bacteria?? 

thanks everyone 

daily water changes and add prime to detoxify any ammonia you could also add some seachems purigen to you filter that helps remove ammonia as well till your benefial bacterial catches up if you have some cycle filter media from another tank you could add that 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 3:35 PM, Willie T said:

Thanks, I would love to establish the beneficial bacteria, will that come back with daily water changes

It will take time cycled media from another tank is the best at helping to lower your ammonia 

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 6:36 AM, Willie T said:

Hello everyone thanks for any help. So my tank 75 Gallon tank has been cycled for about 8 weeks, I added fish about 2 weeks ago everything has been great, am expecting a shipment of discus today so I did a 60 ish % water change and when I did the water change, I had about 40ppm of NitrAte after the water change I had about 5ppm, fed the fish yesterday after water change , and yesterday morning, tested the water last night, and the nitrates were gone, readings were 0,0,0. Thought maybe hey it’s just clean, there only about 10 small fish in there, tested this morning and the was about 2ppm ammonia 0 nitrite , 0 nitrate?? I guess I removed all the beneficial bacteria when vacuuming the substrate… added prime and stability, but my discus will be here today and I have to put them in the tank. Any suggestions to keep them alive till I get more Bacteria?? 

thanks everyone 

Are you using test strips? I bet you have about 10 to 20 ppm of nitrates, either way it doesn't matter. Obviously it has cycle if you saw nitrates and now have no nitrites.

I would stop dumping Prime in there and just change some water and watch the ammonia to keep it safe for them until the filter catches up. I hope you have a huge filter for the Discus, they need clean bacteria free water.

*Have you ever read that tap water with chloramines will leave ammonia when you declore it? I have heard about that but haven't read up on it much. I believe I read that small amounts of ammonia are not a very toxic to fish for a short time, plenty of time for the filter to take care of it after the water change.  

• Thanks 1