Dwarf Gourami gender

tcamp1208

All three appear to be male, and the last one doesn't look very well. Is he in quarantine? I'd add salt and monitor closely.

EDIT: I'm going to edit because it's possible the second fish is female, but I'm not getting a good look at him/her. I'm leaning towards all males. If fish 2 is the same as the last pic (s)he looks like (s)he needs some recovery.

Edited by laritheloud

The last one is the same as the 2nd one. The last pic was still in the bag and the 2nd pic is after I acclimated and added to the tank. I have read sooo many things and watched soo many videos on how to gender them and there seems to be a divide. Some say you look at the dorsal others say that doesnt matter. Some say you cannot have a colored female all flame or powdered are only male. Others say that isn't true. So, I'm very confused.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, tcamp1208 said:

The last one is the same as the 2nd one. The last pic was still in the bag and the 2nd pic is after I acclimated and added to the tank. I have read sooo many things and watched soo many videos on how to gender them and there seems to be a divide. Some say you look at the dorsal others say that doesnt matter. Some say you cannot have a colored female all flame or powdered are only male. Others say that isn't true. So, I'm very confused.

There are female dwarf gouramis (female powder blue gouramis) but they are extremely difficult to source, and most average LFSs will not have female dwarf gouramis in stock. Powder blues are the only dwarf gourami where the female is just as colorful as the male.

True females don't really have orange/red to their fins and have quite plump bellies. The more I look at your fish the more I think you have three males.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 7:50 PM, tcamp1208 said:

Thank you so much for the information and help! I'll be sure to keep an eye on the new one. She/he seems to be adjusting well, but will definitely continue to watch closely.

Hey @tcamp1208, I am wondering how your 3 males are getting along? I got 2 brothers a few weeks ago, thinking to get a powder blue, but not sure if they would get along ok. So I am here to see if you could share some update on them? Thank you!

They definitely are territorial with their own spaces. They each have a hiding spot and they fight if they go into each other's spots. They are fine when out swimming together as long as they stay away from each other's spots. I didnt intentionally get 3 males and wouldn't do it again.