Guppy Fry Separating

Hi Everyone,

i’ve started a mixed indo dragon breeding colony of guppies. I lost a male early but have 4 males and 12 females. I’ve been scooping out fry a few times a  day. I have a fry tub of about 50-60. I have two extra 10 gallon tanks i can raise fry in but i’m wondering at what point to start separating batches. 

basically at how many days should i stop adding fry to the tub and start throwing them in a new tank?

4CB72E04-BEB6-402F-AFD9-C9897084A186.jpeg

3FE36BEA-30B5-4CF4-B84C-F443776B00A3.jpeg

It depends on the size of the tub and how many fry. In my 10 I separate at 3 weeks or earliest sexing ability into m/f grow out. In my 20 I give all away so don’t care so much about pregnancy I go as long as 6-8 weeks depending on how densely stocked. I feed generously and lots of water change. At 8-10 weeks if new fry are not separated older girls start getting chubby but young fry still grow full at a decent speed. Hope that helps

On 2/21/2022 at 4:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

I get max growth rate separating 3-5 weeks. For me the girls start snacking on newborn fry 7-8 weeks. If the fry fits in their mouths my juvenile girls will snack they are voracious at younger ages and still quick enough to catch them. Hope that helps

Thanks Guppysnail! I will stop at 4 weeks and start a new fry tank. Thank you everyone for the help!

On 2/21/2022 at 3:38 PM, Brian - Advanced Aquarium said:

I’m trying to maximize growing out fry with out losing and to older ones attacking or eating younger ones

I can offer another perspective/option:

Add enough pearlweed, guppy grass, and hornwort, plus frogbit (tentacle like roots) and you only need to separate for population control purposes.

Each "plant zone" in my spouse's 4' tank houses well over 100 fish.

I took 200 to the LFS, and can't tell that I removed any😳

• Thanks 1