Any idea what kind of snail this is?

PaigeIs

Does anyone know what kind of snail this is?  I've had snails come in on plants before, but not one this big.  He (she? it?) is proving to be an excellent roommate for my fish.  This is a new tank and I'm battling algae.  I don't want to kill him, but I am curious.  Just a pond snail? Something more exotic?   I've included a close-up as well as a scenic shot for reference. (He's on the airhose!)

20220220_090518.jpg

20220220_090532.jpg

• Love 1

On 2/20/2022 at 5:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

That is a very beautiful bladder snail. 🙂 

They are amazing gardeners

Hmmm.. word on the street is that bladder snails are a problem, but I will take the risk.   He doesn't look like the teeny tiny ones in my daughter's 10 gallon tank.  Maybe he is their king!!

Thanks!

• Haha 1

I keep them in all 8 of my tanks. One tank just for them. As long as you are not overfeeding and keep your substrate clean they are fine. They are population self regulating. In the new tank they will take off. Proper maintenance after they eat all the algae and run out of unlimited food they die back. You will only ever have as many as the available food. If they overpopulation (it takes a bit to get the hang of them). Take them to a club,or LFS if possible. If not squish them in a paper towel.  Please do not dispose down the drain. They are invasive and survive in waste water and cause issues in waste water treatment plants. Being that large (mid size) you most likely already have eggs in there. You will see a jelly sac. Remove those to help keep population in check. Here is an egg sac in my bladder snail tank so you know what to look for. 

46101B9E-1B46-4D67-947C-73CFF3942B10.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Please do not dispose down the drain. They are invasive and survive in waste water and cause issues in waste water treatment plants"

I don't put anything from the aquarium (flora or fauna) down the drain.  They all go to the trash.   

LOL...  I have 100+ papers to grade but instead, I am hunting for snail eggs.   

Edited by PaigeIs
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, PaigeIs said:

Hmmm.. word on the street is that bladder snails are a problem, but I will take the risk.   He doesn't look like the teeny tiny ones in my daughter's 10 gallon tank.  Maybe he is their king!!

Thanks!

I was told that, as well. 

Which ushered in over a decade of anxiety ridden tank maintenance, carefully dipping plants (killing many) to prevent any "pests" on the plants. I literally nuked a perfectly balanced tank, because I found hydra in it🧐

Luckily, I have had a lot of free time during the pandemic, and been able to virtually hang out with people from around the globe, who challenged a lot of the narratives I had been taught, regarding snails, plants, pests and fish.

Which returned the joy I originally had in the hobby. This new found joy has not only sustained me for the past 2 years, it has also expanded to a lot of my clients, as well as friends and family. 

Did you know that there is a hydra that has a symbiotic relationship with algae? The hydra can relocate to better waters for photosynthesis, which benefits the hydra and the algae.

Snails don't actually eat healthy underwater plamts, unless they are starving, and even then, some will die first.

Plus, how can anyone not fall in love with those cute little faces???

So, let me introduce you to our pet, Pebbles, a "greater pond snail" who can grow to exceed 3"

20220209_191807.jpg.0c04e2bc955bf35bd4c682b391e07495.jpg

Our newest discovered snail family member, Limpet (specific species identity requires a better photograph, so species TBD)

20220218_160056.jpg.3a4ee72d5039f4228dbd58a793ac56d8.jpg

A couple of years ago, I would have gotten rid of these beautiful critters, adding stress by hunting for eggs, adding work of having to remove melt from new plants (not to mention cleaning algae)....

Now, I sit back and let them earn their keep with housekeeping, and my spouse gets a kick out of feeding them carrots, green bean hulls, and squash & cucumbers.

Win/win/win

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

@Torrey is right. At first most of us, including myself go on attack. I didn't think I wanted them either- and I still don't In a couple of my tanks (which thankfully never got them) but I can't imagine my aquarium life without them now.

....someone who started out squishing them, actually regretting it- and now I look out for them

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2022 at 8:25 PM, PaigeIs said:

Thanks!

They are a “problem” only in the sense that their populations can explode very quickly under certain conditions, and some find hundreds of snails to look unappealing. Managing a healthy population comes down mostly to controlling how much you feed your fish. They can only populate to amount of available (excess) food left over. Over time you may see them laying transparent egg pods on surfaces/plants. Some hobbyists use assassin snails curb overpopulation but my assassin snails either don’t care about them or have joined their snaily ranks as allies. I’ve learned to embrace the extra biodiversity, because imo it will take a lot of labor to fully eliminate them and they have caused no harm that I can see. If you do decide you want to evict them, stick some blanched zucchini on a fork or in a water bottle overnight and you can remove them once they’ve started chowing down. 

Just an extra note, they may or may not be invasive depending on where you live so keep that in mind before disposing of them.

• Thanks 1