Catalpa (Cattapa) aka Indian Almond Leaves

dmurray407

I got a few leaves and now I'm wondering what to do with them 🙂 I've been looking for a "tutorial" on how to use them. I got them to put in my shrimp tank, but it sounds like they are good for all sorts of tanks. I guess the big question is-is there any type of tank I shouldn't put them in? Could they go into my quarantine tank with Panda Cory's and Rasboras? (I did just come across a Coop Blog article on Indian Almond Leaves. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/indian-almond-leaves)

Edited by dmurray407

I am no expert here, but from my knowledge they can be used in almost any tank. What they do is release tannins in the water. Tannins are good because they help prevent fungal infection and other diseases. As the leaves break down they also create biofilm which your shrimp will eat. It can lower your pH, however I'm not sure if a single leave would make a noticeable difference and it would depend on how many you use. Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of that you may not want to use them for would be Rift Lake cichlids, although once again I am not an expert and this too may be fine. Panda Cory's and Rasbora, no problem, the environment they come from has lots of decaying vegetation in it. 

• Like 1

You can use Indian almond leaves in most tank I add them to all my tanks as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and I like the look of leaf litter and my Bristlenose enjoy them if your using them to treat a sick fish you have to add a lot of almond leaves 1leaf per gallon to get the benefial effects

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My pandas love them. I stick them to a suction cup with zip ties on the back wall inside  instead of using a background. My panda LOVE to lay their eggs in them. Unless it’s a fussy high ph etc etc fish you can use them. You might even be able to use them with fussy fish I don’t know though. 

• Like 1

I've been using them more recently and I have to say, unless you have something like shrimp that will eat the decaying leaves I'd recommend making a tea for tanks. 1 leaf can go a very long way. I've been boiling 1 in my stockpot and filling a couple of inches of the tea in my 1 gallon water change jugs then filling up the rest of the way with tap and treating. It's not as tinted as it could be but I'm sure the properties of the leaf are still there (just like those of us who use teabags and Rooibos)- and there is no detrius/decay to worry about. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

I am no expert here, but from my knowledge they can be used in almost any tank. What they do is release tannins in the water. Tannins are good because they help prevent fungal infection and other diseases. As the leaves break down they also create biofilm which your shrimp will eat. It can lower your pH, however I'm not sure if a single leave would make a noticeable difference and it would depend on how many you use. Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of that you may not want to use them for would be Rift Lake cichlids, although once again I am not an expert and this too may be fine. Panda Cory's and Rasbora, no problem, the environment they come from has lots of decaying vegetation in it. 

To answer questions for both of you:

Indian Almond leaves have been through laboratory testing, and the tannins the IAL release (specifically) have antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral qualities. 

They benefit bettas the most, apparently, and actually create measurable differences in their immune systems at therapeutic levels of the IAL tannins, that other tannin producing trees and leaves do not have. 

They have been found to reduce/prevent the fungal decay of fertilized eggs, and zero impact on unfertilized eggs. 

They can go in any tank, and will only lower pH in tanks that have a lower kH that leaves the tank vulnerable to pH swings.

IAL alone have never lowered my pH in any of my tanks, even if I got the water so dark you could not see through it. Combined with decomposing peat moss and other plant matter, it took 6 months to lower my pH from 7.8 pH when I filled it, to 6.7 pH (and also required nearly 2 months with out a water change).

You can boil the leaves, float the leaves, or use a rock to hold them on the bottom. I will not keep bettas with out 1 full leaf/ gallon in the tank. Shrimp adore them, and will eat the biofilm. 

Scuds (amphopods) will eat the leaves and leave you a beautiful lace pattern of veins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1