Nerite and the snails we call Nerite but are not.

Caroleinwv

I’m not sure what you mean by this…and the snails we call Nerite but are not.

however the transition back to fresh is pretty simple from what I read awhile ago.  once they mate and lay either move them/offspring after hatch to a similar parameter tank and slowly through a series of water changes remove the salt  I’m not certain how long the offspring need to remain in the marine conditions before they go through the brackish then fresh transition  I have never done this I just had a passing fancy at one point to possibly try this  it passed very quickly so I did not gather a lot of information  

Thank you! Good to know! I have some empty tanks and may play with this.q

They seem to be the only snails that really make a dent on Algae. I just wish I had more and buying enough could get pricey.

The reason I said they are not true Nerite is that I very, very recently found out that they can actually be from several different species. I would post a link to the video but I'm not sure if it is allowed. If you look for Chris Lukhaup on YouTube it is there.

I also found out there is a similar type that reproduces in freshwater but it is not available in the US. 

Again, thank you for sharing!

On 2/20/2022 at 7:29 AM, Caroleinwv said:

also found out there is a similar type that reproduces in freshwater but it is not available in the US. 

The LFS I use locally That Pet Place if you want to look at their website claims theirs are “true freshwater “  this I just copied and pasted from their website

While some Nerite Snails are from saltwater or brackish water environments, this item is a freshwater species. Freshwater snails are not available for shipping and are only sold in our Lancaster, PA retail store. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 3:02 PM, Caroleinwv said:

I am interested in the Nerite type snails. How easy is it to transition them to saltwater and back. I am interested in breeding.

Some nerites are always in brackish waters in the wild, and are only acclimated for aquarium sales. Others travel up and down estuaries, in and out of various salinities.

Offspring have to remain in brackish water for as long as they are free floating. Once the fry transition to snail form, you can take 10% of the water out each 4 to 7 days and replace with fresh water, until the salinity is no longer detectable. 

I had a high school science teacher who had a "snail highway" with brackish water in one tank, and freshwater tank next door, and a clear, 6" "u-shaped box" that joined the same 2 tanks. That was the year my mom died, so I honestly don't remember why we had the 2 tanks joined like that, except she also had another pair of tanks with similar set up that were both freshwater, and stocked each fall from the school's pond.

We may have been studying osmosis in the salt/fresh combo.

We did have snails (hence the name) that were collected on a field trip in the fall, that would go back and forth between the salt and fresh water via the snail highway. 

I always thought that would be a cool method for raising nerites with smaller margin of error, but never had the "highway" built.

Now, I don't have enough room.🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Thank you Guppysnail and Torrey. I appreciate the time you took to answer my query. I have three free tanks to work with. They are currently on the acid side ( I have low KH) but I can start converting them to high pH and brackish. I have a ten gallon salt and am setting up a 40 salt for Macroalgae.

Now on to the snail highway!

Hmmmm. I bet I could build a snail tunnel between tanks with plexiglass!

• Like 1