plant grow out tub

CT_

I have some ugly stem plant clippings that I want to see if I can grow out submerged so they'd be ready to transplant in an aquarium when I need them.  Right now they're in a coffee cup under my lamp, but is there a way to do with without also creating an algae farm?

• Like 1

Yes, depends on how you want to scale this. Some folks with use a sterilite tub or over deep tub, put a 2-3 " layer of leica clay balls, flood them with some liquid fertilizer of your choice, plant and put a grow light on top of the clear plastic top and seal it with syran wrap. Or you can go smaller scale as @Guppysnail indicated. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 2:04 PM, CT_ said:

I have some ugly stem plant clippings that I want to see if I can grow out submerged so they'd be ready to transplant in an aquarium when I need them.  Right now they're in a coffee cup under my lamp, but is there a way to do with without also creating an algae farm?

How do you feel about snails?

I have plants growing out in ziplock bags (cheap, and available at 2 am when insomnia hit). A couple of bladder snails keep the algae out on small scale and big scale, if you don't want the hastle of an airstone.