Licorice Gourami

modified lung

On 2/19/2022 at 5:22 PM, modified lung said:

@Colu species wasn't listed. It's hard to tell at this point but they look like bintan so far. The distributor was 20/20 tropicals.

they do like similar to parosphromenus bintan just have wait till  they colour up to get a positive I'd

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 11:22 AM, modified lung said:

@Colu species wasn't listed. It's hard to tell at this point but they look like bintan so far. The distributor was 20/20 tropicals.

Such interesting fish. I purchased 3 from my LFS labeled only as licorice gourami. I became obsessed with them and contacted the Parosphromenus Project for help identifying them. The response was this: Possible cf bintan is the closest we could get, not P. Bintan. You would have to be certain of the locality if it should be labelled bintan. 

• Like 1

My goal is to be able to keep a group of cherry chocolate gourami; not sure how they relate to licorice other than both requiring black water; but ever since i was a little kid i loved those cherry dipped in chocolate and soon i will have a fish named after my favorite chocolate - how can you do better ?

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I finally got some breeding! I relocated the fry and dad to a separate 1 gal tank but will be taking the dad back out soon. If anyone has any other tips, let me know.

PXL_20220903_201055809.jpg.3960400e1b5398aea931750b1795da6f.jpg

I can't say for certain what the trigger was. Some new things I did recently...

(1) Added a 2.5x2.5x4" green plastic pot as a breeding cave. Before this I had 1" capped PVC couplings which are about the size of the film canisters that are usually recommended. I've been wondering if they don't like the coupling being bright white because film canisters are usually black. Then last week I allowed the plastic pot to float to the surface. Not sure if that made a difference.

(2) Allowed half of the water to evaporate over the last month or two. A few days ago I refilled the tank half way back to the top with RO water and the next day the rest of the way. This dropped the conductivity from ~ 80 to 45 uS. One of the bottles of RO was maybe 10°F warmer than the tank so there might have been a small upward temp swing. All other parameters stayed the same.

-----------------------------

Feeding moina, simocephalus, and ceriodaphnia.

Temp = 76-82°F

pH = 5.5

Conductivity = 45 uS

TDS = 29 ppm

GH, KH = 0

NH3, NO2, NO3 = 0

• Like 4

I have a question if you do not mind; do these tend to stay near the top of the aquarium or the bottom? i'm going to be setting up a 4ftx4ft blackwater thank that will have some apisto and pencil fishes but was thinking about adding a species of gourami - either something similar to Licorice or perhaps cherry chocolate. Also will they take dry food like bug bite or exclusively live food? I presume you are mostly feeding live from your list of conditioning foods.

On 9/4/2022 at 7:44 AM, anewbie said:

I have a question if you do not mind; do these tend to stay near the top of the aquarium or the bottom? i'm going to be setting up a 4ftx4ft blackwater thank that will have some apisto and pencil fishes but was thinking about adding a species of gourami - either something similar to Licorice or perhaps cherry chocolate. Also will they take dry food like bug bite or exclusively live food? I presume you are mostly feeding live from your list of conditioning foods.

I have these and sparkling gouramis. The sparkling gouramis like to hang almost at the surface underneath floaters. They eat any dry food I've tried.

The licorice gouramis are in a 5 gallon so it's shallow. They seem to like hiding under the driftwood around the middle. I'm guessing if I had a lot of floaters in that tank they'd be right at the top like the sparkling gouramis. The licorice gourami have only eaten live feed for me.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:01 AM, OutBout said:

Love these gouramis. Are they quite shy?

They are, yeah.

I have sparkling in a 29 and they hang out everywhere in my aquarium - spending a lot of time near the bottom but also at top occasionally. They don't interest me for the low ph tank as I would prefer one of the species that require low ph and very soft water. Also they are quite aggressive at being predators and that might cause conflict if the apisto breed.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 10:21 AM, anewbie said:

I have sparkling in a 29 and they hang out everywhere in my aquarium - spending a lot of time near the bottom but also at top occasionally. They don't interest me for the low ph tank as I would prefer one of the species that require low ph and very soft water. Also they are quite aggressive at being predators and that might cause conflict if the apisto breed.

Nice. My sparklings are also in a 29. There's not a lot of thick plant life below but lots of floaters which might be why they're always at the top. All depends on environment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 5:12 PM, anewbie said:

Well those guys are little spawn machines; have you raised any of the frys to a decent size ? What are you feeding them?

Fry from the first spawn are about a quarter inch now. They're always at the back of the tank and I can't get a good pic through the blackwater. I've been feeding rotifers, vinegar eels, and ceriodaphnia.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bred again today. No obvious trigger this time. Big RO water change two weeks ago. Added a little Wonder Shell for the electrolytes. I did notice the male was hanging out underneath a coconut shell every few days. Yesterday I lifted the shell to see if there were babies but there were none. Afterward the male moved back to the same flower pot they bred in last month which was possibly more preferable to the females.

Feeding moina, simocephalus, and blackworms.

Temp = 73-80°F

pH = 5.8

Conductivity = 35 uS / TDS = 22 ppm

GH, KH = 0

NH3, NO2, NO3 = 0

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 4