Is my fish to big of a glutton?

BlueLineAquaticsSC

I have a cichlid tank which is also home to a Sengal Bichir. I like to feed my Bichir feeders every once in a while and at first I would get 2 dozen and they would last about 4-5 days. Then my cichlids got big enough to start eating some and they would last for 3-4 days. That was all working fine until my most recent fish, the only cichlid not from CA, a striped Venezuelan Pike Cichlid. I had no idea this fish could be a bigger pig than the Bichir but he sucks downs those fish and puts them I don’t know where. 2 dozen know lasts me about 6 hours. The last time I saw the pikes belly was very swelled up and you could see the outlines of the fish in his stomach, and he still had 4 feeders hanging out his mouth. Is this bad, I’ve always heard rumors fish would eat themselves to death but I always thought people actually dumped whole containers of food in their tank and ruined the water. If I buy less feeders the Bichir will simply not get any. 

• Like 1

I have never personally kept the species you’ve currently got. One LFS near us sells some larger species like this quite a bit. I think you’re maybe seeing a tank-mate mismatch. If that pike is going to continue like that, it might eat itself sick. But the Bichers are going to suffer. Time maybe for a divider, or another tank.

• Like 1

would try transition them to something like hikari carnivore or massivore Delite pellets my lfs feed their pike cichlids earth worms am personally not a fan of feeding feeder goldfish theirs a risk of introducing disease I would try feed them frozen sprats no chance of introducing disease 1749099087_Screenshot_20220219-1228522.png.2554716ee8376299d71f3db54bf09861.png

Screenshot_20220219-123131~2.png

Screenshot_20220219-123507~3.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1