Help with changing PH

Connor2

I need help with changing PH.  So I have a betta and the PH is really high, And I was wondering how I could change it with my betta still inside.  I have Seachem neutral regulator, so I was hoping to use that.  My tank size is 10 gallons btw, Thanks!

On 2/18/2022 at 8:15 PM, Connor2 said:

I got their kit that test ammonia and all that other stuff, so I will have to look at the GH and KH testers

On 2/18/2022 at 8:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

API sells a kit with both a GH and KH test.

Is 

On 2/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Can you test GH and KH? If so, just doing small RO or distilled water changes can lower pH. 

Real quick whats a RO, and with the distilled water changes how often should I do it and how much water should I remove

On 2/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, Connor2 said:

Is 

Real quick whats a RO, and with the distilled water changes how often should I do it and how much water should I remove

It stands for reverse osmosis water. But to know how much to change we need to know the KH and GH of the aquarium or your tap water.

Edited by Mmiller2001

API 5 in 1 test strips will tell you KH and GH but aren't as accurate as liquid tests of course but still gets you some data. The aquarium co-op multi-test strips will tell you GH. They sell the liquid API test here on the site but definitely find that out before tampering with the pH using chemicals. Stable parameters are always preferred to trying to achieve a magic number especially with a betta so just keep that in mind as well. Kudos for taking the time to find out more I've always had the tendency to act without thinking and then sit there like "well I hope I didn't mess that up" lol.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:27 PM, CT_ said:

Also it might be helpful to define "high" ph.  You may have to do nothing.

That's an excellent point.  Many fish will thrive in water with pH well outside their native conditions.

I will venture to say that unless yours is 8.5 or higher you probably don't need to do anything.