Ph

TeeJay

That on the low side for guppies lack of minerals can lead to  shimmies bent spine's and other health problems in guppies I would add some crushed coral in a media bag to your filter that will raise your kH and pH I would add  1lb of crushed coral 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Nitrifying bacteria, heterotrophic bacteria, and the phytoplankton in green water all consume KH as a carbon source for reproduction. I've had populations of nitrifying bacteria consume more than that much KH in a day but that was in a bioreactor dedicated to growing them. One or all of these are likely at least contributing.

I am going to fall back to what was stated previously. What is the KH/GH of your source water? If you were at 150ppm before, you could replenish your mineral to a similar level with a water change. Which will help tide you over until you can add mineral supplement.

Once KH is down, your pH will drop as it loses stability.

Crushed coral will help once you have it. I put mine in my HOB, and I have some in the Canister of my larger tank. It is a slow adjustment, which is fine, and it does change KH/GH faster if the water is more acidic. I would look at your local water source for actual mineral content. If you're using domestic supply, they will have a water report. Which is great for seeing what is impacting/defining your water chemistry. Certain compositions aren't as stable as others.