What are you currently reading?

jwcarlson

Currently reading "The Color of Law" to understand why laws don't always get applied the same.

Just finished a month researching the origins of fairytales, and am reading peer-reviewed research on hominids and on Doggerland. Waiting for the library to get a book in on aquatic plant respiration and photosynthesis (don't remember the name of the book😅)

Fiction I'm rereading The Simarillion (Tolkien) and Serpentine (Hamilton). Serpentine has me rolling with laughter.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 10:29 PM, Torrey said:

Fiction I'm rereading The Simarillion (Tolkien) and Serpentine (Hamilton). Serpentine has me rolling with laughter.

What does The Silmarillion have you doing?  I read it some time ago and then within the last year listened to the audio book.  Someone reading it to me was much more enjoyable because it's easier to ignore, maybe.  😄

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 6:46 AM, jwcarlson said:

What does The Silmarillion have you doing?  I read it some time ago and then within the last year listened to the audio book.  Someone reading it to me was much more enjoyable because it's easier to ignore, maybe.  😄

Every time I run into writer's block, I reread the Silmarillion and remind myself that Tolkien's journals filled his library, floor to ceiling and outside of the trilogy, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion his son put together after he passed, the rest of it was background/world/character/family line building.

Puts things in perspective, and alleviates pressure.

Plus, it's a phenomenal insight into fairytales/oral traditions that were lost with "civilization" choosing to only value what was recorded on stones or paper.

We forget, as a species, our relationship to the earth at our own risk.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:46 AM, jwcarlson said:

Someone reading it to me was much more enjoyable

I suspect it's more along the lines of our evolutionary programming to pass knowledge from generation to generation via oral storytelling... a "hobby" that has been lost due to people over working and an emphasis on only documentable/GDP contributing work counting as "real work"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading the first volume in the Dragonlance Chronicles novels, Dragons of Autumn Twilight! For a nerd/nerm like myself that loves roleplaying games like Dungeons & Dragons almost as much as I love fish, it's a wonderful story to delve into that fantasy world.

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 3:41 PM, Torrey said:

Every time I run into writer's block, I reread the Silmarillion and remind myself that Tolkien's journals filled his library, floor to ceiling and outside of the trilogy, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion his son put together after he passed, the rest of it was background/world/character/family line building.

I’m a big fan of the Silmarillion too. I can’t remember a time when that book wasn’t in the house. I think my mom must have bought it when it was published.  Have you read the other associated books, The Book of Lost Tales, Unfinished Tales etc?

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 9:26 AM, jwcarlson said:

I'm going to listen to this after I finish the Gwendy's Button Box series in audiobook (which will happen today).

I started out trying to read the physical book… but kept either getting interrupted or was too busy to sit and read. Audiobooks are a multitaskers lifeline 😂

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 2:23 PM, FLFishChik said:

I started out trying to read the physical book… but kept either getting interrupted or was too busy to sit and read. Audiobooks are a multitaskers lifeline 😂

Yep, I've already "read" four books in the last week, but haven't opened a single one of them.  I audiobook books that I want the flavor of, but am otherwise not really that excited about.  I have a Scribd subscription, so I can burn through a ton of them.  Stephen King is my favorite author and they have a ton of his books on there.  If there's one that really gets me listening then I mentally mark it for a possible physical re-read at some point.  But for some series that I want to know how they end, I might read the first book or two, but not be in love with it... then I'll listen to the rest of it.  I also like audiobook re-reads.  When I already know the story it's easier to listen to and get more out of it.

I audiobook daily and physical read daily - always have two books going, though one is being read to me. 🙃

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 6:29 AM, jwcarlson said:

That's The Dark Tower for me.  My last go-through was audio book instead of paper, which was a good/interesting twist on the standard re-read.  I typically do not re-read too much stuff, but I do find myself listening to a lot of Stephen King books that I've previously read.  King is my favorite author.  The audiobook subscription that I have (Scribd) has a large selection of Stephen King books that I download and listen to when I can at work, doing house/yard/vehicle work, water changes, dog walking, etc.  I just finished Bag of Bones in audio form and Scribd had a version that King himself narrated.  He's done quite a few of his books and I REALLY enjoy his narrations.  I'd love a version of The Dark Tower that he reads.  Additionally, I have no idea how King is as prolific as he is.  I know he's being doing it "forever", but good grief, you'd think the guy would slow down a little in his 60s and now 70s.

I don't really keep track of or "count" audiobooks.  But I could see myself finishing WoT in audiobook form.  Plus I've heard that the narration by, I think, Cramer (Kramer?) and Redding (Reading?).  Perhaps I'd enjoy the series more having it read to me as opposed to plowing through it.

I love the Dark Tower series, read through the physical books twice and listened to the audiobooks twice as well. Have you also read/listened to The Eyes of the Dragon? I usually listen to that one after I finish the Dark Tower series as there are tie ins with the universe. Also finished The Talisman series a few months back, great books with also tie-ins to the DT universe.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, Darktower805 said:

I love the Dark Tower series, read through the physical books twice and listened to the audiobooks twice as well. Have you also read/listened to The Eyes of the Dragon? I usually listen to that one after I finish the Dark Tower series as there are tie ins with the universe. Also finished The Talisman series a few months back, great books with also tie-ins to the DT universe.

I have not.  One thing that I always find remarkable is how many Stephen King books there are that I have never even heard of. 😄

I'll be listening to it soon, though.  All of King's books are linked back to The Tower in some way or another.  Even this Gwendy's Button Box series has Tet Corp and the Tower tied in.  🙂

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:26 PM, jwcarlson said:

I have not.  One thing that I always find remarkable is how many Stephen King books there are that I have never even heard of. 😄

I'll be listening to it soon, though.  All of King's books are linked back to The Tower in some way or another.  Even this Gwendy's Button Box series has Tet Corp and the Tower tied in.  🙂

It's sooo good. It's told sort of like a fairy tale. IIRC he had written it for his daughter. If you liked Wind Through the Keyhole, its in the same tone. Randal Flagg is the antagonist and I do recommend the audiobook, it's narrated by Bronson Pinchot and he does a masterful job in this. Some parts are just chilling!

I just Googled a synopsis of Gwendy's Button Box, seems real interesting. I'll definitely check that out!

• Like 3

On 7/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, FLFishChik said:

{C07BD0CA-42F7-40D6-AA07-3C6BC1C616A7}Img100.jpg

I've got to say... this was a big miss for me.  In fact, I'm not even done listening to it yet.  I won't continue the series for a number of reasons.  I can get behind quite a bit of Young Adult, this this is a hard pass.  Curious what you think when you get done with it. 🙂

Even as I'm typing this the story is making me dislike it more!  haha  I do like the narrator, though.

I should finish We Hunt the Flame tonight or tomorrow - I'm not loving that one, but it's OK.  Part of my dislike for Caraval might be the fact that I'm reading another YA story with 'romance' in WHtF.  Back to big kid books after this.  Trying to decide if I'm going to read The Hod King (The Books of Babel #3) or Upgrade (released a couple days ago by Blake Crouch) next.  Not sure when I will return to WoT for #5.  Putting a LOT of books between 4 and 5 for sure, hoping that helps me enjoy it a little more.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 3:23 PM, jwcarlson said:

I've got to say... this was a big miss for me.  In fact, I'm not even done listening to it yet. 

I'll admit... I struggled with it. It was difficult for me to get into this and I didn't really until the last 1/3rd of the book. I'm starting the next in the series ... Legendary this weekend and I'm hoping it picks up. I've got all 3 in the series... but if I can't make it through the 2nd, I've no hope of even starting the 3rd.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 6:37 PM, jwcarlson said:

@Darktower805

Not finished yet, but am loving The Eyes of the Dragon, King seems purpose built to tell stories I love to hear.  I am never tired of King. 

Also, the narrator is fantastic.  Flagg's voice! 

I'm so excited for you haha! The snake-like quality and underlying evil of Flagg's voice is chilling. Bronson Pinchot really knocked it out of the park.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Through the Eyes of the Dragon is IMO the best story King has ever written and the most overlooked and underrated. 

Right?!? It's a criminally overlooked gem! I try to spread the word whenever I can.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 10:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Through the Eyes of the Dragon is IMO the best story King has ever written and the most overlooked and underrated. 

One thing I never get tired of is the soft letdowns I have when King straight-up tells you what is going to happen, but then somehow continues to draw you into and through the narrative.

There's not much of anything I have disliked at this point.  I snuck off to do a quick honey bee task this evening just so I could keep listening for a little longer and then a little longer while doing the discus nightly water change after that.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 3

On 7/12/2022 at 9:46 AM, Patrick_G said:

Have you read the other associated books, The Book of Lost Tales, Unfinished Tales etc?

No, I haven't yet! Just added to my wish list.

I'm currently reading Carl Erik Fisher's "The Urge", and waiting for the new Laurell K Hamilton books to be delivered, and the new JR Ward books to get to the library (I love intra-library loan!)

• Like 1

I see there are quite a few Stephen King fans here.  I read Misery decades ago, and while I powered through and finished it, I had no desire to read anything else he wrote.  Maybe I need to reconsider.  If yes, any suggestions?

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 2