Is there any harm in using a 200w heater in a 20 gallon tank?

PaigeIs

I have a 20g high tank with a 150w Eheim heater that I cannot seem to calibrate.  The temp is all over the place and I am beyond frustrated.  I am planning to cut bait and buy a different heater.  The Fluval E series is highly rated but on Amazon (I can't buy it locally) the E200 is $14 cheaper than the E100 so I was planning to get the cheaper (higher wattage) model.  

Is there any reason not to do so?

One thing to consider is if your heater fails (which has happened to many fish keepers including myself), it will most likely fail on. In that case a higher wattage heater would heat your water faster, shortening the amount of time you'd have to discover the issue before it was too late. 

On a side note, I use an Inkbird temperature controller to virtually avoid the risk of a failed heater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depending on the temperature change from the water temp you want vs. the room temp you have, that might be more than you need (but OK with an Inkbird controller as noted already), or that might be just right, or that might not be enough (not very likely unless your room is VERY cold).  Typical recommendations vary from 2.5 to 5 watts per gallon typically but up to 10 watts per gallon.  Room temp vs water temp difference is really what it’s all about when determining a heater size.  I’m sure I’ve seen a chart for that somewhere, let me go look.

Hmmm, didn’t find an old-fashioned chart (I’m sure they’re still out there somewhere) with a quick search but I did find several sites with calculators where you can plug in your tank size, your desired water temp, your average room temp and it tells you what wattage heater to use.  I’m quite certain you could get away with using the 200 wtt heater in a 20 gallon (been there, done that) but a pymeter like an Inkbird controller makes it much safer.

• Thanks 1

I have spent the last 5 years moving away from heaters because:

1. They fail at the most inopportune times. 

2. My electric bill.

3. My health. 

That being said, I do still breed, and fry frequently need heat that parents don't need. Yes, I have used a 200 watt in a 20 gallon. If I had it to do again, I would put a 100 watt in each end of the tank and plug them both in a Pymeter. 

Oh wait, I essentially did that with my 10 gallon fry grow out tank.

1645149446590345364432482409735.jpg.9aa13473d6032384f816cea1a6a4fb28.jpg

Each end has a 50 watt flat heater, as they seem to fail the least.

Our apartment is a cozy 65° F right now, tank is a warm 77.7° to 77.9° F.

You can see the heater in the bottom right, the stainless steel probe designed for beer, hydroponics or aquariums just above it.

The other end is covered by the egg crate supporting plants to keep nitrates down, and red LED display is on the right side of the tank. My arms weren't long enough to show the whole thing in one image.

1645149739532408798582078780579.jpg.ab7029628432ca58879f2db5f2160fb7.jpg

Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself, these 2 flat heaters are the longest functioning heaters I now own.

I also have 2 fluval M200 for my 4' dining room build, although I am leaning further and further away from tropical fish so I might not use them.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:57 AM, Odd Duck said:

Depending on the temperature change from the water temp you want vs. the room temp you have, that might be more than you need (but OK with an Inkbird controller as noted already), or that might be just right, or that might not be enough (not very likely unless your room is VERY cold).  Typical recommendations vary from 2.5 to 5 watts per gallon typically but up to 10 watts per gallon.  Room temp vs water temp difference is really what it’s all about when determining a heater size.  I’m sure I’ve seen a chart for that somewhere, let me go look.

Hmmm, didn’t find an old-fashioned chart (I’m sure they’re still out there somewhere) with a quick search but I did find several sites with calculators where you can plug in your tank size, your desired water temp, your average room temp and it tells you what wattage heater to use.  I’m quite certain you could get away with using the 200 wtt heater in a 20 gallon (been there, done that) but a pymeter like an Inkbird controller makes it much safer.

Also very helpful.  The room with the tank gets into the 50s at night.  Another reason I have not gone for a smaller (100w) heater.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 6:57 PM, BAT said:

@Torrey where did you get the white plastic that holds your outside plants? I want to get one for my tank.

I bought a 4' x 8' "egg crate light diffuser" from the blue home improvement place.

I also use it to help distribute the weight of rocks in my glass bottom tanks, and on top of UGF.