Electric blue acara heads turning white

Jon

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cichlid/comments/j99zf6/their_heads_turned_white_today_this_is_a_week/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share i posted about it on reddit and got mixed feedback. Tank params are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, 7.8 ph, 76 degrees. I added what looks to be the opposite sex to what I have now and after a week their heads were white and then faded in and out. Any help is appreciated!

My EBAs heads change colors often, and in my case it has been mood related. They go from Black/grayish to a faded pale color. I have one on my 75 gallon that has tried pairing up with my Blood Parrot and has been changing quite often and I notice a little extra breeding related aggression when they go a little more pale. It hasn't been anything to worry about in my tanks. 

20200930_162601.jpg.03166c8f74881050d9ae3c8bd24323cd.jpg20200930_162532.jpg.2d45101eb1ee73172e7bbe660f5e6576.jpg

Edited by Lynze
Edited to add photos

So I forgot to call the store today or go there but I came down in the evening after work to feed the tanks and saw all her fry. I guess the white head is just a mating call. Link to the video:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had similar question and observations. One of our adult females always turned pale in the head and body when ready to spawn. Now, with all of our fry, we can go through and easily pick out the females due to this same discoloration. I think it's a female thing, not a disease. Perhaps the pheromones released by one in spawning mood affect the others? We have about 25-30 in a tank growing out. Easy to see who the guys and gals are. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is an old post so i doubt this will show up but I also experience this with my 2 weeks of owning two 1 inch ish EBA. Also their bodies are more light blue silver than dark and electric blue. Genetic? Stress from being moved? or Lighting?