Tannin liquid reduction question

HotTunaCartel

Has anyone made a tannin reduction similar to cooking down a sauce to reduce the water?  

I just got my new batch of Indian almond leaves, did a first boil and saving the liquid to try to make a reduction to save in a smaller jar.  

EDIT: Nevermind, it went well, reduced 96 oz down to this

IMG_5765.jpeg

Edited by HotTunaCartel
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, Guppysnail said:

Curious as to why the boiling and reduction?  I just put them in the tank.  What grand scheme are you working on…nosey nosey nosey 😁

lol nothing devious, I boil them to get them to sink right away.  But I usually cool the liquid off and put it in the tank.  I thought, hey that would be cool to making something homemade similar to a blackwater leaf extract that many places sell.  Its super cool because I used about two tablespoons and for a 20 long and its back to looking beautiful again.  I'll take some pics tomorrow as its a bit cloudy currently.    

• Love 1

On 2/16/2022 at 5:38 PM, Guppysnail said:

How sad.  Very cool looking forward to pics. 

🤣🤣🤣Your sense of humor has me rolling!!!!

I do this, and keep a bottle in the fridge. When covid first hit, pet stores here closed and shipping was not as... reliable. 

This was my back up plan that I ended up only needing for Krishna, the betta in my avatar/photo

• Love 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:16 AM, Swampbones said:

I was just thinking about this! 

what about not reducing it- but freezing it instead? 
kind of like when you freeze dirt to revitalize the fertilizer (I can't find the exact video) like how Irene from Girl Talks Tish suggested? 

hmm that would be interesting, it going to be months before I boil more leaves but maybe someone else that has blackwater tanks can try that.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:52 AM, HotTunaCartel said:

ummm I think two tablespoons was a bit too much lol 

might do a 25% water change as I really don't want to kill my anubias 

IMG_5772.jpeg

ORD! ORD! ORD! You must try breeding Neon Tetras in there. Or Apistogramma Cacatuoides Orange Flash. GOODNESS! ORD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:47 AM, Fish Folk said:

ORD! ORD! ORD! You must try breeding Neon Tetras in there. Or Apistogramma Cacatuoides Orange Flash. GOODNESS! ORD!

When I had it dark in the past I was trying by keeping the lights low in the morning like @Cory video he has about that.  

I just put in frogbit a few days ago so I'm excited to get the roots going to offer some breeding areas 

On 2/17/2022 at 11:49 AM, HotTunaCartel said:

When I had it dark in the past I was trying by keeping the lights low in the morning like @Cory video he has about that.  

I just put in frogbit a few days ago so I'm excited to get the roots going to offer some breeding areas 

Scott Fellman said he got neon tetras to spawn in a highly tinted tank that . . . he barely ever fed them . . . I swear he told our fish club that!

Uggh, ORD🤣🤣🤣🤣

That is an absolutely gorgeous darkwater tank!

I would probably be debating if I should take the anubias out, and move to another tank so I could enjoy the blackwater tank, lol.

I think @Atitagain needs your recipe,  I have not ever been able to reduce IAL water to that degree.😍

• Like 1

@Torrey Thanks! 

I was thinking that as well, I'm not sure there is enough light for them either.  The blackwater has gone away over the last 6 months just due to the leaves disintegrating and the peat really doesn't do much. 

It wasn't that hard to boil it down, just set a timer for 20 mins, checked and then went another 20 mins.  I wish I would have taken a video of when i put it in, was like dirty chocolate milk look as it started to mix.   

It’s funny you said you added two tablespoons and it made such a huge change. It really doesn’t take much I added about a gallon of mopani tea to a 125G and it made a huge difference. I will most definitely try the IAL tho looks like they got much darker results than mopani 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Love 1