My 20 Gallon Tank has Ich! :-(

Tarazzl

Hey guys,

I just noticed that my 20 gallon tank with neon tetras, zebra danios and platties all got Ich.  I lost all 10 neon tetras, 1 danio.  I am currently treating the tank with parasite remedy solution. I'm feeling frustrated to see the fish go, but I am trying to be patient and hopeful that the rest will live. 

So my question is, after the treatment is over and the fish are fine, do I get the fish out, thoroughly clean the tank including the gravel and hopefully I can introduce new fish?

Thank you in advance! 🙏

What medication are you using when treating the ich you should thoroughly gravel vac as tomont fall of the into the gravel and surfaces in your tank gravel vaccing reduce their number after you have cured ich I would just leave the tank with original inhabitants for 6-8weeks and Qarantine any new fish for minimum of 4 weeks before adding them to the main tank

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, Colu said:

What medication are you using when treating the ich you should thoroughly gravel vac as tomont fall of the into the gravel and surfaces in your tank gravel vaccing reduce their number after you have cured ich I would just leave the tank with original inhabitants for 6-8weeks and Qarantine any new fish for minimum of 4 weeks before adding them to the main tank

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am currently using Imagitarium Parasite Remedy. I got it from Petco last minute, I know there are some other good stuff out there, but it was the only thing I could find.  Fortunately, the fish seem to be responding fairly well after 2 treatments. I changed at least 30% of the water before adding the remedy solution, hoping to get rid of the exisitng tomont. 

I'm wondering, if I do exactly like you said, quarantine the new fish for 4 weeks before adding them to the main tank, will I still have a chance to get Ich in the future?

Thank you!

imagitarium parasite remedy is a herbal treatment they are not very effective at treating ich same as treat such as melafix and primafix aren't effective at treating bacterial infections iI would recommend if you can get holed of ick x or API super ick cure or kordon rid ick theirs always a chance of your fish developing ich as it already in your tank it only when your fish immune system weaken thought poor water quality bad nutrition or stress or disease weaken your fish do you see out breaks

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 3:49 PM, Colu said:

imagitarium parasite remedy is a herbal treatment they are not very effective at treating ich same as treat such as melafix and primafix aren't effective at treating bacterial infections iI would recommend if you can get holed of ick x or API super ick cure or kordon rid ick theirs always a chance of your fish developing ich as it already in your tank it only when your fish immune system weaken thought poor water quality bad nutrition or stress or disease weaken your fish do you see out breaks

I ordered API Super Ick Cure last night through Amazon and it will be here Friday. I will change the treatment when it arrives. I also ordered API General Cure, Fritz aquarium salt and Fritz Complete water conditioner for future quarantine purposes, I'd appreciate your input on those items.

Speaking of immune system, how do you improve their immune system?  Is there any food and supplement that you could recommend that is beneficial to all community fish? I am pretty consistent with water quality maintenance. 

Some people use vita chem to add to there food the best thing for their immune system is good water quality no ammonia or nitirtes under 40ppm of nitrates good quality food I feed my tetras I mixture of foods hikari micro pellets and vibra bits bug bites frozen Cyclops and blood worms and brine shrimp and Daphnia a variety of food will provide your fish all the nutrition they and  make sure they have places to hide and keep out of the way to reduce stress I find live plants are the best for providing cover  not over bright lights have some floating plants to provide some cover  general cure a very effective treatment for gill and skin flukes and tape worms aquarium salt good treatment for mild fin rot cut and injurys and some external bacterial infections and fungal infections it has antibacterial and antifungal properties and to reduce fluid buildup when fish are suffering for Dropsy Fritz compete a good water conditioner as it detoxify ammonia and nitirte I would also recommend have a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment like seachems kanaplex on hand as well as seachems focus and garlic guard to make medicated food

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, Colu said:

Some people use vita chem to add to there food the best thing for their immune system is good water quality no ammonia or nitirtes under 40ppm of nitrates good quality food I feed my tetras I mixture of foods hikari micro pellets and vibra bits bug bites frozen Cyclops and blood worms and brine shrimp and Daphnia a variety of food will provide your fish all the nutrition they and  make sure they have places to hide and keep out of the way to reduce stress I find live plants are the best for providing cover  not over bright lights have some floating plants to provide some cover  general cure a very effective treatment for gill and skin flukes and tape worms aquarium salt good treatment for mild fin rot cut and injurys and some external bacterial infections and fungal infections it has antibacterial and antifungal properties and to reduce fluid buildup when fish are suffering for Dropsy Fritz compete a good water conditioner as it detoxify ammonia and nitirte I would also recommend have a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment like seachems kanaplex on hand as well as seachems focus and garlic guard to make medicated food

Awesome! I will definitely look into those items you suggested!

Great advice and thank you!