Here I am!

AndreaW

I've already posted and commented, but thought I should formally introduce myself since I'm here to stay. Thanks for this welcoming and happy place to be!

My name is Andrea. I've kept fish most my life and got my *dream* aquarium when I was a newlywed Probably back around 2002? I don't know. Back then it was film cameras and unless you had the date printed on the corner of the photo, you don't know when it was taken. :classic_tongue: That shows my age... Anyway, it was a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium and it was my pride and joy. I kept 2 fancy goldfish and a pleco in that tank, and when the goldfish dies many many years later, I had various tropical fish including Glass Catfish, Otos, Hillstream Loaches, many different catfish, African Butterfly Fish that often launched across the room during feeding time, and eels. I had a great LFS that had lots of different varieties and while my tank was a messy conglomerate of fish, they all seemed to do well and many even bred in that tank.

That tank is still funning today, with the original setup, HOB, UG filter with Powerheads, only the second heater, but none of the original fish. It has moved locations twice in that time, most recently downstairs to my son's room because he loves the sound of the running water and he currently has a peculiar pleco in that tank. He kind of took it over but I still maintain it. Crazily enough, I've never had problems with that tank. It seems to go with whatever is in it and the cycle must be rock solid because my parameters stayed steady through the move a couple months ago, and then it even held steady when my sister showed up at my door with a bunch of fish from her tank that survived her heater crash.

I don't know if I should try to do something different in that tank or just leave it be as it's overstocked but still thriving despite it all.

I recently got a 10 gallon Betta tank since I found I missed having a fish tank nearby, so I decided to venture back into the hobby and try my hand at live plants and aquascaping. I'm sure I will have a ton of newbie questions for you all, so thank you for your patience and kindness as I venture back into fishkeeping (even though I never really left).

My 46 gallon Bowfront circa 2003. It was quite a conglomerate of fish at this point. It's almost embarrassing to see now.

DSCF0337.JPG.981fd8636da1f93fa936357dd662f14f.JPG

The 46 gallon when I moved it down to my Son's room. Very little has changed!

FullSizeRender.jpeg.affc53c5b0d0c44773bc0ce9be093c51.jpeg

My new work in progress, a 10 gallon Betta setup for "Cosmo"

IMG_0420.JPG.154216df70bdb25ba0bf11d3479d9ced.JPG

• Like 6
  • Love 2

On 2/16/2022 at 9:32 AM, AndreaW said:

I've already posted and commented, but thought I should formally introduce myself since I'm here to stay. Thanks for this welcoming and happy place to be!

My name is Andrea. I've kept fish most my life and got my *dream* aquarium when I was a newlywed Probably back around 2002? I don't know. Back then it was film cameras and unless you had the date printed on the corner of the photo, you don't know when it was taken. :classic_tongue: That shows my age... Anyway, it was a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium and it was my pride and joy. I kept 2 fancy goldfish and a pleco in that tank, and when the goldfish dies many many years later, I had various tropical fish including Glass Catfish, Otos, Hillstream Loaches, many different catfish, African Butterfly Fish that often launched across the room during feeding time, and eels. I had a great LFS that had lots of different varieties and while my tank was a messy conglomerate of fish, they all seemed to do well and many even bred in that tank.

That tank is still funning today, with the original setup, HOB, UG filter with Powerheads, only the second heater, but none of the original fish. It has moved locations twice in that time, most recently downstairs to my son's room because he loves the sound of the running water and he currently has a peculiar pleco in that tank. He kind of took it over but I still maintain it. Crazily enough, I've never had problems with that tank. It seems to go with whatever is in it and the cycle must be rock solid because my parameters stayed steady through the move a couple months ago, and then it even held steady when my sister showed up at my door with a bunch of fish from her tank that survived her heater crash.

I don't know if I should try to do something different in that tank or just leave it be as it's overstocked but still thriving despite it all.

I recently got a 10 gallon Betta tank since I found I missed having a fish tank nearby, so I decided to venture back into the hobby and try my hand at live plants and aquascaping. I'm sure I will have a ton of newbie questions for you all, so thank you for your patience and kindness as I venture back into fishkeeping (even though I never really left).

My 46 gallon Bowfront circa 2003. It was quite a conglomerate of fish at this point. It's almost embarrassing to see now.

DSCF0337.JPG.981fd8636da1f93fa936357dd662f14f.JPG

The 46 gallon when I moved it down to my Son's room. Very little has changed!

FullSizeRender.jpeg.affc53c5b0d0c44773bc0ce9be093c51.jpeg

My new work in progress, a 10 gallon Betta setup for "Cosmo"

IMG_0420.JPG.154216df70bdb25ba0bf11d3479d9ced.JPG

Some awesome aquariums there!!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:25 AM, BETTA999 said:

welcome to the forum just one little detail that common pleco might not be the best fish to have it the tank he will grow more they poop a lot and might even attack your goldfish 

Yes, that was my tank set up back in 2003. Surprisingly, my original Pleco was the gentlest, even into his older years. The goldfish were the bullies. They all pooped a TON which is why I had that tank with an under-gravel filter with power heads as well as an oversized HOB filter. I would never keep them together especially in that small a tank anymore though.

I'm conflicted about my current 8" Pleco, Gary (it's actually my son's and it needs a bigger tank, but he's super attached to him). I'm thinking of trying a planted tank with driftwood and more hiding space, but a much larger tank would be ideal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Brentirwin ~ Common Plecos need a minimum of 75 gallons but their ideal is potentially 150 gallons, so you are fine. 

At one time I had a 14" Pleco in my 46 gallon and he didn't seem to mind (I wouldn't do that now, knowing what I know). My current Pleco is 8" and I need to convince my son to rehome him as I feel like he's not happy in the space.