What has changed in 20 years?

AndreaW

On 2/14/2022 at 6:41 PM, AndreaW said:

So, I've kept fish practically all my life, really got into fishkeeping about 20 years ago when I saved up as a newlywed to get a 46 gallon bowfront tank. I kept  a variety of tropical fish (probably a bunch I shouldn't have kept together, but didn't know any better). I was in fish forums and was a familiar face at our local fish store.

Fast forward 20 years and while I've kept the tank running all that time, I fell out of the "hobby" and now I'm back, setting up a 10 gallon planted Betta tank and I'm quickly discovering things have changed a bit in 20 years!

So, tell me (for those that have been around) -- What has changed in 20 years?

I hear undergravel filters are a thing of the past. I've heard some people say not to use carbon in your filters, and numerous other things that weren't being said 'back in the day.'

Agree that carbon is useless, except for removing meds from the quarantine tank.

I still use UGF.

Science is supporting more responsible and ethical fish keeping. 

Fish still don't read the forums, and will frequently do the opposite of what we anticipate. 

A lot more plants are available. 

On 2/15/2022 at 12:58 PM, AndreaW said:

@Jawjagrrl Yup, I have the HOB with the original biowheel still going on that tank, and I don't think it could handle the bio load without it and the UG filter/powerheads going. It's always been crystal clear and the water parameters never have been a struggle on that tank.

I also at one time had a 6' long (??gallon) tank full of cichlids, mostly Mbuna. They were an adventure, but I wasn't too sad when I gave that tank and setup away. I prefer the friendlier fish -- except that I ended up with a Betta now. 

I have noticed the different variety of fish, but there are still many out there I've never seen. The possibilities seem endless! Luckily, I had a pretty cool LFS that had some pretty unique fish. One of my favorites were African Butterfly Fish which I haven't seen in years. 

I currently have 2 Nerites in the mail arriving on Thursday. That's a different experience for sure.

@sairving Yes, I have noticed cleaner looking setups is also a thing. I've seen some filters with glass inlets that are tucked away under a cabinet and the clean look is enticing for sure! I still have a HOB filter and powerheads on my 46 gallon setup. I'm not sure if I should consider changing things up or leaving it all alone since it's been running so long with minimal maintenance. Maybe one project at a time would be best.

I have a tank that has a dirt substrate, plenty of plants, 2 airstones and zero 'filter' from the perspective of most aquarists.

The tank can handle being "overstocked" due to the plants. I have a larger tank, with fewer fish, and actual filtration... and it occasionally has ammonia spikes.

Plants are the biggest game changer in fish keeping, I feel

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, Patrick_G said:

I agree with everyone on lighting! In the early 2000 I really wanted to do planted tanks but the cost and complexity of T5 or metal halide lighting kept me away. Now you can get a cheap, reliable 20” led light for $25. 
The other big change is heavily planted and balanced tanks. With the right stocking and planting is now easy to go weeks or months without water changes. 

I suspect we will - I feel a bit wistful when I see Zenzo's mbuna in Co-op  ads. I know so much more about how to see up a good scape for them now! But I never did a full SA setup, so that's next after baby endlers and shrimp breeding 🙂

• Like 2