Tiger barbs, cherry barbs and rainbow shark

linkandnavi

Evening all,

I have a 193 gallon heavily planted tank which is currently extremely lightly stocked with 25 juvenile green tiger barbs and 12 cherry barbs. Those will go up as time goes on but I'm just stocking it slowly.

I'm considering moving my rainbow shark over from a different tank to do the algae eating work.

Anyone have any experience of rainbow sharks and cherry barbs? The tiger barbs I'm sure can handle themselves if the rainbow gets a bit rough. The cherries are always going to be on the smaller side though.

Thanks.

• Administrators

With that large of a tank that is heavily planted as you described, I don't think it will be an issue. If anything, you may want to ensure that the rainbow shark has a place to hide/escape if the barbs get nippy and chase it. Again, 193 gallon planted tank is quite massive, so I would think that you would have success. 

On 2/14/2022 at 8:20 PM, Zenzo said:

With that large of a tank that is heavily planted as you described, I don't think it will be an issue. If anything, you may want to ensure that the rainbow shark has a place to hide/escape if the barbs get nippy and chase it. Again, 193 gallon planted tank is quite massive, so I would think that you would have success. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:41 PM, Ben Ellison said:

I keep tiger barbs and a rainbow shark with no issues in a 40 breeder heavily planted.

Thanks both.

It's got plenty of rock and driftwood caves and hiding places so should be fine on that side of things.

My concern was more for the cherry barbs given the potential size difference between them and the rainbow shark, and them both broadly occupying the lower levels.

It sounds like it should be ok though, although I appreciate there are never any guarantees with fish as it depends on individual temperament. Doesn't look like an immediate red flag though.

I'll give it a go and if things get to feisty I'll relocate him to one of the other tanks 👍

PXL_20220203_161552609.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 2/14/2022 at 4:45 PM, linkandnavi said:

Thanks both.

It's got plenty of rock and driftwood caves and hiding places so should be fine on that side of things.

My concern was more for the cherry barbs given the potential size difference between them and the rainbow shark, and them both broadly occupying the lower levels.

It sounds like it should be ok though, although I appreciate there are never any guarantees with fish as it depends on individual temperament. Doesn't look like an immediate red flag though.

I'll give it a go and if things get to feisty I'll relocate him to one of the other tanks 👍

That is a nice looking tank! Cherry barbs can hold their own. I don't think they will get picked on, despite the size difference. 

On 2/15/2022 at 12:47 AM, Zenzo said:

That is a nice looking tank! Cherry barbs can hold their own. I don't think they will get picked on, despite the size difference. 

Thanks 🙂 it's only been running for a couple of weeks so the plants have a lot of bedding in and filling out to do.

Benefits of having seven tanks - nicked some filter media from other cannisters and good get a few fish in from the start

• Like 1