How to get Clear Water

HomerJay

Hi everyone! i am having trouble getting my water back to clear again. I am sure it is not a bacteria bloom. The water tests fine. I did a large water change and a gravel vacuum. Although it has been a very long time since i did a vacuum. I have about a million snails in there so i am sure i am overfeeding. I am ok with the small pieces of duckweed floating around, it's the other stuff i can't deal with lol.  What should i do guys? 

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Edited by HomerJay

On 2/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, HomerJay said:

Hi everyone! i am having trouble getting my water back to clear again. I am sure it is not a bacteria bloom. The water tests fine. I did a large water change and a gravel vacuum. Although it has been a very long time since i did a vacuum. I have about a million snails in there so i am sure i am overfeeding. I am ok with the small pieces of duckweed floating around, it's the other stuff i can't deal with lol.  What should i do guys? 

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Bacterial bloom won't generally affect your water parameters. 

I have found squeezing a sponge filter from a more established aquarium typically clears the water up overnight. 

50/50 success rate with dosing SeaChem Stability 

It does not look like particulate, which would generally settle out in a few hours, or certainly in a few days. 

It is bacteria, but not the beneficial kind. This bacteria puts a burden on the immune systems of your fish and makes them more susceptible to disease.

The long-term solution is more biological filtration and less feeding. See aquariumscience.org articles on crystal clear water.

You say you are sure you are overfeeding. If you think you are overfeeding, you most definitely are. Try cutting the amount of food in half and actually measuring the food each time.

I found that I was getting pleasure from feeding the fish and that made me feed more. Now I try not to consider feeding a source of pleasure, but more a chore. I measure the food. I try to derive my pleasure from the way the aquarium looks, and the way healthy fish look. The aquarium looks a lot better if the water is crystal clear. And the fish are healthier.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Cloudy water can be so frustrating!  I have had that problem in the past.  Mine was due to over feeding and not getting the substrate clean enough.  I backed off my feeding a tad, gave the gravel a really good deep clean, and purchased the fine filter pad from Aquarium CO-OP.  It does a great job getting the fine particles out of the water, which can cause your water to look cloudy. That did the trick for me. Good luck!