Albino Corydoras Aeneus hatch.

NetBelleAnie

Introduced 3 new adult cories to my group of 8+ (I haven't counted how many I have and I have a lot of plants and hungry fish) on Feb 5.  Fish came from a Sacramento Aquarium Society club meet, and due to limited space went straight in the 55 gallon community after a 2 hour drip acclimation.

On Feb 7, about 1/10th of the total surface area of my tank was covered in cory eggs.  In an attempt to safe some from being eaten, I used an old gift card to scrape some into a cup.  I used a 16 oz deli container, glued an airline in through the bottom and floated it inside the tank, running an airstone to keep the water flowing, but seperate from the main tank.  Added a drop of methyl blue, added the eggs, and waited. 

Feb 10th I went to check the floating bubble cup and found some wigglers.  I used a giant pipette to carefully siphon out the hatchlings into a seperate cup, while the unhatched and bad eggs were removed, given clean water, and replaced in the floating bubble cup.  Fry were added to my floating coffee filter (reusable basket I had previously used to seperate guppy fry from main tank, due to me not being able to locate my breeder nets) along with java moss and fogbit for cover.  Fry are feeding off of yolks and highly active.  Added one small ramshorn to coffee filter for clean up crew, and is floating underneath an aquaclear 30 filter (hanging on main tank to cycle it for another tank) water trickle.

IMG_20220213_001746923_MP.jpg

IMG_20220213_002027196_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220213_002035460.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 4

On 2/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, NetBelleAnie said:

Introduced 3 new adult cories to my group of 8+ (I haven't counted how many I have and I have a lot of plants and hungry fish) on Feb 5.  Fish came from a Sacramento Aquarium Society club meet, and due to limited space went straight in the 55 gallon community after a 2 hour drip acclimation.

On Feb 7, about 1/10th of the total surface area of my tank was covered in cory eggs.  In an attempt to safe some from being eaten, I used an old gift card to scrape some into a cup.  I used a 16 oz deli container, glued an airline in through the bottom and floated it inside the tank, running an airstone to keep the water flowing, but seperate from the main tank.  Added a drop of methyl blue, added the eggs, and waited. 

Feb 10th I went to check the floating bubble cup and found some wigglers.  I used a giant pipette to carefully siphon out the hatchlings into a seperate cup, while the unhatched and bad eggs were removed, given clean water, and replaced in the floating bubble cup.  Fry were added to my floating coffee filter (reusable basket I had previously used to seperate guppy fry from main tank, due to me not being able to locate my breeder nets) along with java moss and fogbit for cover.  Fry are feeding off of yolks and highly active.  Added one small ramshorn to coffee filter for clean up crew, and is floating underneath an aquaclear 30 filter (hanging on main tank to cycle it for another tank) water trickle.

IMG_20220213_001746923_MP.jpg

IMG_20220213_002027196_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220213_002035460.jpg

I'm ORD😍

I too will be exploring your coffee filter ring, that's brilliant. 

Congratulations on your rapid breeding success!

• Like 1

@NetBelleAnie I think your floating coffee filters are genius.  I just ordered some reusable coffee filters and some foam caulk saver to make the floating rings.  I have multiple double sponge filters that I will be using to provide a constant stream of water into the floating fry bins/coffee filters.  I’m thinking I will probably use loose zip ties to hold the floating coffee filters close to the sponge filter outlets (I may need to extend these a little with tubing).  I’ll post pics when I’ve got them figured out and done.

I know that others have used this type of sponge filter parts without the sponges in place as “automatic” fry sorters.  Depending on what species I’m using them for, I may also use them that way to get the fry into the basket/filter.  Like this idea but joined to your coffee filter fry basket.

I’m certain I can fit at least 3-4 of these in a 10 gallon tank, so these could be filtration and circulation all in one without too much current for fry.  I could even have one with the sponges for filtration and another for a fry lift if needed.  I have this style sponge filter that I’m currently not using.  It’s the same style as in @Brandy’s thread, just double sponge instead of single.  Supposed to be enough filtration for 20 gallons, so multiples in a 10 gallon would be massive filtration for delicate fry without any excess current.

1BC5AAAB-7A17-48CD-B9FF-AEFE949947CF.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Made these today.  I need to figure out a way to keep the foam rings adhered or attached to the baskets and superglue is not working.  I’m using stainless steel pins cross-pinned right across the ends of the foam pieces to hold them together, but I’d like to glue them or attach them somehow to keep them secure.

1307FC97-D877-4006-AE06-E5951C952718.jpeg

• Like 3

I would think glueing the two ends of the foam together to create the ring, and not attaching the ring permanently to the filters would be ideal. Much easier to clean in between batches of fry.

I'm willing to bet, airline tubing sealed with one end inside the other would also work to keep them afloat.🤔

On 2/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, Torrey said:

I would think glueing the two ends of the foam together to create the ring, and not attaching the ring permanently to the filters would be ideal. Much easier to clean in between batches of fry.

I'm willing to bet, airline tubing sealed with one end inside the other would also work to keep them afloat.🤔

That’s what I tried first.  Complete fail with superglue gel.  Tried the pins since I saw that’s what @NetBelleAniedid.  Thought I’d spot glue a couple spots to keep the foam ring even and level. Nopity nope on the glue.  Doesn’t seem to adhere to the foam at all whether it’s on the ends, or the sides, of the foam.  I also tried 3/8” silicone tubing with butt connectors - not really working well either since the connector puts a straight spot in the tubing and then tries to kink the tubing right beyond the connector since this ring is fairly small.  Using the pins is surprisingly secure when you get them at just the right angle and the foam at just the right length.  But it still sits a little imperfectly around the little filter basket.

I don’t know that it’s going to matter in the long run until I put it into use and attach it to the upright of the sponge filter.  I haven’t tried that, yet, but I plan to soon.  I’m planning to run a loose loop with a zip tie around the foam ring and around the filter stem so the basket can float up and down with the water level.  We’ll see how it works in real life vs. in my head and adjust as needed from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 3:08 PM, Torrey said:

I know this is an old thread, but this is exactly what I just did with about a dozen Corydoras sterbai eggs I just rolled off of my glass.  I didn't use glue, though; I used a straight airline connector to make a loop of some airline tubing, such that the coffee filter basket sits in it like an inner tube.  I threw in some small bits of stem plants I've been floating until I get around to plant them, a couple clumps of hair algae, and a bit of water lettuce or two, all carefully checked to make sure no snails made it into the basket (I think snails have been eating my cory eggs).  I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow after the lights turn on.

Edited by Rube_Goldfish
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:26 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I know this is an old thread, but this is exactly what I just did with about a dozen Corydoras sterbai eggs I just rolled off of my glass.  I didn't use glue, though; I used a straight airline connector to make a loop of some airline tubing, such that the coffee filter basket sits in it like an inner tube.  I threw in some small bits of stem plants I've been floating until I get around to plant them, a couple clumps of hair algae, and a bit of water lettuce or two, all carefully checked to make sure no snails made it into the basket (I think snails have been eating my cory eggs).  I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow after the lights turn on.

I just pulled two tiny bladder snails out of the coffee filter basket. They were each only slightly larger than the eggs themselves. The basket floats, but the snails walk along the water's surface using surface tension, so there's only so much I can do!

For now, I'm just going to check every couple of hours and manually remove snails, if necessary. If this ends up not working, next time, I'll try tightly lashing cheesecloth over the top, or maybe using a rubber band to hold a second basket inverted on top, to make what would look like a tiny shark cage. But hopefully the eggs will hatch soon enough!

On 2/18/2023 at 7:35 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I just pulled two tiny bladder snails out of the coffee filter basket. They were each only slightly larger than the eggs themselves. The basket floats, but the snails walk along the water's surface using surface tension, so there's only so much I can do!

For now, I'm just going to check every couple of hours and manually remove snails, if necessary. If this ends up not working, next time, I'll try tightly lashing cheesecloth over the top, or maybe using a rubber band to hold a second basket inverted on top, to make what would look like a tiny shark cage. But hopefully the eggs will hatch soon enough!

I don’t think tiny bladder snails would be a big issue.  Bigger ones might be, but tiny ones shouldn’t.

• Thanks 1