Thin Sterbaii Corydora

Mitch_ScruffyCityAquatics

One of my local fish stores finally had some Sterbaii Corydora in two weeks ago, but they were quarantined. I went back a week later and they still had them quarantined. They said they had some trouble with some and they wanted to continue watching them. 

A week later they had sold all but three, but a wanted three! They looked pretty good in the tank. I spoke with the employee helping me about them being in quarantine for two weeks. I asked if they lost a lot of them or if they sold them. He said they sold them. 

When I got them home one of the little guys looks a little rough. I don’t remember any of them looking like this in the tank, but he did have a hard time catching one of them. I’ve included a picture. 

Since they had been in QT at the store for so long I was just going to watch them and see how they did. But now I am considering a round of Paracleanse. What do you all think?

I have an established QT tank that they were only added to last night, but here are the parameters. 

pH 8

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

Hardness Unknown, but hard.
Temperature 76

0AC2DDA1-0D57-45FD-A0A0-DADB85732228.jpeg

69446286-7796-4A4E-B937-D8B97293C3C9.jpeg

Edited by Mitch Norton
More info

Papermill 

I did feed bloodworms this morning. Some have been eaten and some are still there. I mostly wanted to see how they ate. I liked to watch them a day or two before I use any meds. I think this one looks sunken in. I wanted to give them some nutrition but I didn’t want to feed them too much before the paracleanse.

They were in a tank stocked heavily with cardinals. I was considering they may not have been getting enough food from the two weeks in that tank, but the fact that those bloodworms are still on the bottom make me think otherwise.  

Edited by Mitch Norton

I administered the Paracleanse tonight. I was looking at the little guy from the top and I hope I’m not too late. He looks so thin. 

I normally follow the box, but I am afraid he won’t go long without food. If I plan on re-administering on the third day, would you feed lightly one day?

(Second photo is for comparison. This guy is doing fine right now, the third one is somewhere between these two).

BB98EA29-9BA1-41BC-BF8C-20B9B53715F4.jpeg

AEFC5423-4C9B-43DC-BCA3-CBCAEE5B6D05.jpeg

Update

Little guy didn’t make it. I wasn’t able to call the lfs yesterday. I had high hopes for the little guy. Today is the second treatment of Paracleanse. He seemed to be getting around fine last night, but I found him on his side those morning. I wish I had been able to purchase them a couple of days sooner and maybe I could have treated earlier. I still need to call to see if they treated for parasites.

The other two appear to be doing fine. I will give them Paracleanse today and then watch a couple of days before the water change and regular feeding. Looks like I will be qting them for at least three more weeks. I believe that is @Cory’s recommendation on treating with Paracleanse? A second dose two weeks after the first?

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was two weeks since I used Paracleanse on my Sterbai Corydora that has been chilling out in quarantine. It was the lone survivor of my three. I did a 50% water change last night and then re-administered the Paracleanse. 10g = 1 packet. I found the Cory laying on its side this morning. 

Such a downer. I keep a community tank, and this is only the second time I’ve spent that much money on a few fish. I have an older sterbai in my 75 gallon and I was hoping to add more. 

• Sad 1

Had a moment to check things out and the little guy is still alive. He is upright now, but not moving much. If I do a water change I will be removing the Paracleanse. Any suggestions?

My 10 gallon sprung a leak a few weeks ago so I am using the 25g, but it has 10g of water in it. So I can add water...

I just checked parameters

Temp 76

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

pH 8

I cleared my 75g of Java fern (yeah, right) on Sunday, and it all went into the QT. That might be why the nitrates aren’t reading. 

Edited by Mitch Norton

And the drama continues!

Still alive and on the bottom of the tank, upright. Today should be the water change and second dose of the treatment... I am a little worried that the second dose may cause too much stress. He/she is resting on the bottom, but I haven’t seen them move all that much. 

Would you administer the second dose of the follow up treatment based on the experience I’ve had?

This is a tough one. I think if I were in your shoes I would hold of on additional dosing right now, and try to remove as many stress factors as possible. And feed him live or frozen bloodworms if he'll eat.

As for the Paracleanse, are you sure it's internal parasites you're dealing with? I think I would give him a break from meds for awhile and try for stress-free conditions and ample nutrition for awhile.

Good luck!

• Like 1

That sounds like what so was thinking. I was feeding him lightly. I treated with the Paracleanse because of how skinny they were. They were eating. 

I have frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. I treated with Paracleanse two days ago. Should I feed lightly today and wait for the frozen foods tomorrow?

Also, would you do a water change today to try to remove more meds? Normal directions, say to do a 25% change today. Would you go larger?

Thank you for all the help. I haven’t successfully treated something like this before. 

Tough call. I normally do much bigger water changes after meds, but 50% will be more stressful than 25%. IMO, I would do the 25%, and probably then focus on lowering stress and heavy feeding as often as they'll take it. If you have it, maybe try a big chunk of Repashy?

Edited by Bill Smith

I only have Repashy super green. I use it for otocinclus. It is completely vegan. I’ve seen my Paleteus Corydora take a few bites, but never for long. 

He was struggling again so I changed the water. I changed 30% but I also added 5 gallon (it’s a 25 gallons that I was only keeping 10g in). Hopefully it doesn’t stress him out too much. Maybe I should have gone a little lighter on the water, but I was worried the meds were doing more harm. 

I really was wondering if it was the water change and not the meds. 

I just checked in him. Resting on the bottom again. No struggle. When he swims it is kind of sporadic and his gills are red. 

tested water and everything is good. I dropped some blood worms in. Hopefully he can eat some tonight and we can get n track for recovery tomorrow. No more meds. I’m going to keep him in the QT until he looks plump. 

Yeah, probably going to wait a while before I try to add anymore. I just set up a new QT this weekend, looks like Aquahuna will only ship through the end of the week. I think I’ll wait until next year on them. 

I need to decide what I am doing about the livebearers anyways. I have 30 or so Mollies in the 75 right now.