Jump to content

Ich treatments not helping


tzahroxi
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have several tanks with ich like symptoms right now. I’ve been using ich-x to treat them and I have been following the treatment exactly. But they’re doesn’t seem to be any improvement. 
 

tank one: the neons in the pictures. Been treating for a week so far. Temp is at 78. No improvement. The dots are raised.

Tank 2: my quarantine tank. The guppy pictures. Couldn’t get him to ever hold still so I can’t tell what it is aside from white dots. Been treating about 5 days with the disease only spreading more. Temp 77.

tank 3: main tank with the female swordtail. Been treating 2-3 days but what started with one fish has now spread to several with no improvement. Temp at 81

I don’t know what to do. Things are only getting worse and not better



update 2/20:

the ich is still ongoing, the neons definitely had epistylis but the others were ich. still been using ich x and nothing has improved. some spots will go away and them more appear later on more fish. the spots are only on the fins. ive been feeding them food soaked in kanaplex throughout this but nothing is helping

60C2F5FB-DF7D-4460-B5FE-FFE00821DDB1.jpeg

25E118EE-1949-427B-9A7F-7C96656768B5.jpeg

1419DFAD-1872-4C2F-A582-D88AB24558AD.jpeg

404D3B4B-7BB4-49AC-86CD-241F099251A0.jpeg

C82EA58A-60BE-4816-8A04-CADCA79504F7.jpeg

0DB55816-83D7-493E-AE6C-2694720823FC.jpeg

Edited by tzahroxi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 11:08 PM, Colu said:

The spots look raised on your neon tetra could be Epistylis he how you tell the two apart

Screenshot_20210915-195657~2.png

the thing though is that the spots are uniform, raised, pure white, all over the fish, none on eyes so far

with the others its only on the fins, translucent, appears flat

each fish has symptoms of both. im pretty sure the swordtail and the guppy have ich based on past experience but the neon is new, i havent ever seen ich have raised spots

Link to comment
Share on other sites

also i heard that you can treat the epistylis with kanaplex mixed with foom but i can hardly get the neons to eat at all. they have only eaten a small bit of fry food. frozen foods are to big for them, otherwise i would have tried already

 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:13 PM, Ken Burke said:

.https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-ich-on-freshwater-fish

I’ll second @Colu.  
 

try adding aquarium salt. If you follow directions it can’t hurt, and is good for a lot of different things

 

 

i have been adding salt, i normally add some with the livebearer tank cause it just good for them in general

how long does it take for improvments to start showing. im affraid things will get worse and worse and ill lose all my fish in several of my tanks. i dont know what to do. ive treated ich before many times and it normally clears up pretty fast with ich x if i catch it early like i did but its only getting worse

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 11:13 PM, tzahroxi said:

also i heard that you can treat the epistylis with kanaplex mixed with foom but i can hardly get the neons to eat at all. they have only eaten a small bit of fry food. frozen foods are to big for them, otherwise i would have tried already

I had a similar plague come into my QT tank.  Had a few cardinals barely eating.  But if you mix up the kanaplex and focus with fry food and can even get them to eat one little pellet, that might be enough to get the wheel turning in the right direction.  Mine kept eating just a little more every day (had to overfeed to make sure they were getting some), it took two weeks + a few days for good measure, but they shook it.  They were so puny I thought that I would maybe need to worm them again, but they're putting on weight very clearly now when before they basically seemed the same size for the month or so I'd owned them.  

Looked similar to your neon, though yours admittedly looks much more rough.

Thread:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the ich is still ongoing, the neons definitely had epistylis but the others were ich. still been using ich x and nothing has improved. some spots will go away and them more appear later on more fish. the spots are only on the fins. ive been feeding them food soaked in kanaplex throughout this but nothing is helping

its been about two weeks and ive never had this much of a problem with ich. the fish dont seem stressed but i know its only going to get worse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 2/20/2022 at 1:21 PM, Colu said:

Ich is getting more  resistant if ick x isn't working sometimes switching to ich medication with a different active ingredient like API super ick cure  will have the desired effect

Is it invert safe. I have shrimp and snails in there

What should I do in switching from ich x to super ich cure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It says invertebrates maybe sensitive to api super ick cure  so they could have a reaction to the medication I was just looking up ich medication and ick x is the only one that fully invertebrate safe that I could find you could try using salt with  the ick x 1 table spoon for 5 gallons shouldn't harm your plants

Edited by Colu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2022 at 1:54 PM, Colu said:

It says invertebrates maybe sensitive to api super ick cure  so they could have a reaction to the medication I was just looking up ich medication and ick x is the only one that fully invertebrate safe that I could find you could try using salt with  the ick x 1 table spoon for 5 gallons shouldn't harm your plants

i normally keep the tank salted due to livebearers, unfortunatly its a planted tank with lots of fry and shrimp. i can move the snails easily but the shrimp or fry would be super hard to catch and move. my qt is already full with cherry barbs that im having trouble with and the only other cycled tanks have fish in them that i dont want ich to spread to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@tzahroxi I'm sorry you are going through this but it can take several weeks to fight an outbreak like yours with double illnesses going on. Ich can be stubborn and understanding the lifecycle of the ich helps make it seem not quite as hopeless. Understand all the scabs you see are eggs laid and protected by the scab, they'll fall out as eggs- hundreds (protected) and fall into your substrate, then depending on temperature and conditions of your tank hundreds of the Ich come out to find your fish again and do it all over....now THIS is the ONLY time they are vunerable to the medication. So just think about that. With tanks in the 70s this takes days for the vunerable part to happen and you don't want to raise the temp if you are also battling Epystilus which can spread FASTER in higher temps. 

Think about the hundreds upon hundreds of little Ich you are battling. This isn't easy, but it's possible- you can't give up. So what do you do? Water change, dose meds, water change, dose meds, water change, dose meds. 

I've used API Super Ick on my Otos- it works fine for them so as far as the pleco they should be ok- however if you are indeed concerned about your inverts and can't move them- don't dose it, just keep with the Ich X and/or salt. Only you can make these decisions- only you can see what's going on in your tanks and what your fish/inhabitant need/behaving/eating etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@tzahroxi I'm sorry you are going through this but it can take several weeks to fight an outbreak like yours with double illnesses going on. Ich can be stubborn and understanding the lifecycle of the ich helps make it seem not quite as hopeless. Understand all the scabs you see are eggs laid and protected by the scab, they'll fall out as eggs- hundreds (protected) and fall into your substrate, then depending on temperature and conditions of your tank hundreds of the Ich come out to find your fish again and do it all over....now THIS is the ONLY time they are vunerable to the medication. So just think about that. With tanks in the 70s this takes days for the vunerable part to happen and you don't want to raise the temp if you are also battling Epystilus which can spread FASTER in higher temps. 

Think about the hundreds upon hundreds of little Ich you are battling. This isn't easy, but it's possible- you can't give up. So what do you do? Water change, dose meds, water change, dose meds, water change, dose meds. 

I've used API Super Ick on my Otos- it works fine for them so as far as the pleco they should be ok- however if you are indeed concerned about your inverts and can't move them- don't dose it, just keep with the Ich X and/or salt. Only you can make these decisions- only you can see what's going on in your tanks and what your fish/inhabitant need/behaving/eating etc. 

i wouldnt be feeling this way if there was any improvemnt. it is either stagnant or spreading. i upped the salt content to 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and increased the temp to 84, normally in the 80-82 range depending of the day. i moved out my snails but the shrimp will be hard to move, there has to be over 20 assorted shrimp species

also the epistylus was in a different tank. unfortunatly i only think one of the neons will make it. the spots cleared up on them but there is still one more that looks a little bad. my normal qt tank isnt big enough for all this fish and is currently occupied

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...