Fish Bags

Alec

There are several places to buy fish bags online, I would link several places, but don't want to break any forum rules. You can either buy square bottom bags or they are easy to make out of ordinary bags as well, I believe Dean showed how in a video of him catching fish to bring into the co-op. I keep a variety of size bags on hand, but I find the size I use most often to take fish to club meetings and auctions is 6x18 or 6x20. Make sure to buy at least ones that are 2mil thick, but 3bis even better, especially if you'll be bagging spiny fish such as corydoras and plecos. 

• Thanks 2

I make my own. I get the gallon double zipper FREEZER ziploc (never single or slide zip). I roll the corners and put duct tape on it so fish do not get caught in the corners. They work great and once you get the hang of of taping the corners the bags sit upright in their own. If you are shipping (I do not) it would be prudent to also duct tap over the top for added safety. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 8:44 AM, Vanish said:

Actually,  I think they did mean 90 degrees, but let's just say perpendicular to one another

You may be right, but I've never seen that, and can't figure out how it would work.  I have seen stores put the fish or shrimp in one bag, then invert that bag in a second one, which is rotating them 180° (so they're parallel, not perpendicular).

I use that same method when I ship.  It eliminates corners.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2022 at 8:28 AM, JettsPapa said:

You may be right, but I've never seen that, and can't figure out how it would work.  I have seen stores put the fish or shrimp in one bag, then invert that bag in a second one, which is rotating them 180° (so they're parallel, not perpendicular).

Ah, I see what you're saying. That would work too!

For what I am saying, picture an X, with the first bag placed in the second. Because the outer bag doesn't have corners on its side, it rounds the corners on the inner bag.

• Thanks 2

On 2/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, JettsPapa said:

This is how I do it when I double bag fish.

• Like 1

I don’t know how your LFS is, but when I need fish bags, they just give some to me. Of course I buy a few things while I am there, so in a way, it kind of pays it off.

I have also moved fish in ziplock bags(triple bagged), mason jars(for local trips), and buckets(also for local trips).

On 2/13/2022 at 1:01 PM, Vanish said:

Ah, I see what you're saying. That would work too!

For what I am saying, picture an X, with the first bag placed in the second. Because the outer bag doesn't have corners on its side, it rounds the corners on the inner bag.

Thank you for explaining it.  I see how that would work.  I was picturing something different.

• Like 1

For shipping in the mail, Max Cardinia has sold me on the breathable bags. I don't ship often, and I followed Max's experience with some shrimp that got a detour and lived *despite* the almost 2 week delay. Being shipped with some plant in the bag probably provided some microfauna, as well. 

For local, I used to buy bags from a wholesale supplier. The past 2 quarters it's been easier to pick up gallon freezer ziploc bags like Guppysnail said above. Tape the corners, and the fish don't fishicide themselves. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 12:48 PM, Torrey said:

For shipping in the mail, Max Cardinia has sold me on the breathable bags. I don't ship often, and I followed Max's experience with some shrimp that got a detour and lived *despite* the almost 2 week delay. Being shipped with some plant in the bag probably provided some microfauna, as well. 

For local, I used to buy bags from a wholesale supplier. The past 2 quarters it's been easier to pick up gallon freezer ziploc bags like Guppysnail said above. Tape the corners, and the fish don't fishicide themselves. 

When bagging shrimp I always put in a handful of guppy grass or something similar, even if it's just for a few hours.  In addition to grazing it also gives them something to hold onto, which I think helps keep stress down.