Proper Filter Cartridge Changes?

Ulrum

So I know that a lot of the good bacteria I'm supposed to maintain in the tank is on my filter cartridge, so how do I replace the cartridge without tanking the levels of those bacteria? (For reference, I have an Aqueon Quietflow 20, which has just one cartridge, and a little sponge at the output)

The bacteria also live on the surfaces inside the tank walls, gravel and filter housing. If your Aqueon is like mine it has one of those plastic inserts with the pegs to give surface area for biofilm. I'd suggest getting a sponge-type prefilter for your pump intake, in addition to your other filter media. If you want to keep using the internal cartridges you're basically forced to replace them over time because their fine media clogs up. So, you can keep replacing those OR replace them with a cheaper sheet of polypad that you can cut to size, OR replace the cartridge with a coarse sponge pad that never has to be changed (but may need to be rinsed and squeezed out every month or few months or even years). But that coarse pad won't have carbon (if you want carbon) and it won't "polish" the water like a polypad. If me, i would replace the cartridge with a combo of coarse sponge and polypad. And if i had room throw some biorings in the bottom