Is a air stone needed if I use the sponge filters

Teri

Hi all. Sorry for all the filtering questions. I'm new and confused. I ordered the sponge filters here but not clear if I still need a air stone or two. I know the sponge filter bubbles so not sure. Thanks for the patience with me. 

Hi Teri. NO, you can run it as is. Some say they are more efficient with an airstone- IME I've seen no difference and I run them both ways. The one thing it absolutely does for most people is makes the bubbles "quieter" as a sponge filter without an airstone has larger bubbles- but I've found adjusting it so it's running at optimal creates almost no noise- at least nothing that bothers me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Teri I haven't noticed a difference in filter function with or without the airstone. I like to use an airstone because it disturbs the water surface less and I like the smaller bubbles... but my filter and fish don't really seem to care.

If you're using a multi-gang manifold/needle valve dealie to run multiple filters off of one pump, I've found it a lot easier to balance the airflow if there's an airstone providing some resistance on each hose-- without them the bubbles seem to only come out of one filter or the other.

• Thanks 1