Angel fish aggression

Krish

There can be several things causing the aggression. They could be maturing, it could be temperature increase, spawning behavior, too small of a aquarium, you just got a aggressive one, etc, etc. Can you give more information on your setup, fish type, quantities of fish, tank temperature, etc?

• 3 weeks later...

I also have experienced this, I have a 125 with 4 angels, 3 are fairly large and they are aggressive with each other much of the time, I have considered removing one, I am thinking it is territory.  I also notice that they calm down a bit after feeding.

Did you buy them as a group when they where young?

I bought a juvenile platinum angel, then 4 months later I added another angel (marbled) to the tank and the marbled one was constantly bullied and  herded into a corner. Really bugs me, I've tried to build up a group for quite some time.

Could be a difference in coloration, but it would be interesting to see if other aquarists have experienced the same problem.

Cheers.

I'm not sure there is just one answer. My first two adopted angels were housed in a 29 gallon and aggression was the norm for one of them. The other spent a lot of time hiding.

More recently I adopted two marbled  angels. The larger of the two was a bully until I moved them into the community tank with a much larger angel. (I'm not sure what kind) There was a tense day or two until the tank hierarchy was established.   There is no more aggression, but they tend to be territorial.  The larger angel  spends most  its time on one side of the tank and the marbled pair on the other.  They all come together at feeding time.  The marbled angels became a breeding pair.  If the angel seems to be guarding one part of the tank from all of the fish there may be eggs present..

I bought 3 angels from a breeder as adults, all different colors--pinoy, blue, platinum.  The platinum one got picked on starting about day 3 and the other two just woud not let up on it.  Had it herded down into one corner all the time.  I switched around some tanks and moved the platinum into a smaller tank with a few guppies, and it's done SO much better.  It's filled out, explores around with no one to pick on it and started laying eggs. 

The other two lay eggs every couple of weeks and get very territorial when they have eggs in the big community tank, but I woudn't call them particularly agressive now that the other fish is gone.  They just rush at the other community type fish to keep them away from the eggs.  Never seen them bite one or do any damage...just scare them away.  I knew this was a possibility with getting 3 fish, but it's all worked out okay now that I have them split up.