This post was originally dedicated to my 35 gallon hexagon that I refurbished but I have decided that it is now the journal for my MTS journey! I hope you all find my MTS entertaining or aspiring as I grow my aquarium addiction! 

So I acquired an old 35 gallon hexagon aquarium from a friend that had been sitting empty and unused for quite a few years. The tank leaked, the stand had mold or mildew in the wood and was just over all in pretty rough shape. I stripped all the old silicon out and resealed the tank. Sanded and painted the rims. Sanded and sealed the stand with Killz and then painted it black. I replaced the old hinges with new stainless ones and added a matching handle. The tank did not come with a lid so I made a custom one from a plexiglass. Got it all scaped up. Now I'm waiting on the fish to arrive. Let me know what you think!

hexagon tank.jpg

Snapchat-324729702.jpg

Snapchat-478258030.jpg

hex aqua.jpg

20220205_125344.jpg

20220209_212158.jpg

Edited by Heierthanu
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, PineSong said:

Wow! You really brought that tank back to life. It and the stand look great. I really like how far up into the tank your wood and stone go--scale is such an important part of making a tall tank look its best.

What fish are you going to add?

Thanks! Yes it took me forever to find the right piece of wood. Hopefully the vallisneria in the back will grow to the top as well. 

I'm gonna breed out a trio of Tuxedo Red Koi Guppies and start a colony of Orange Sunkist Shrimp.

• Love 1

I think the hardest tanks to scape are tall - I have 15 g "tower tank" and a 45 g tall. As other's have said great job. The val helps and I find moss and baby tears (not dwarf) also like this setup. 

I had this same tank as a kid before I knew what I was doing. Had a UGF and I had a group of Malawi cichlids, Texas Holey Rock and it was awesome until my step-mother bought a Jack Dempsey, plopped him in there without me knowing and of course he killed them all! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I think the hardest tanks to scape are tall - I have 15 g "tower tank" and a 45 g tall. As other's have said great job. The val helps and I find moss and baby tears (not dwarf) also like this setup. 

I had this same tank as a kid before I knew what I was doing. Had a UGF and I had a group of Malawi cichlids, Texas Holey Rock and it was awesome until my step-mother bought a Jack Dempsey, plopped him in there without me knowing and of course he killed them all! 

Yeah I agree, the small footprint and large water column space made it difficult to scape. 

Ahh that is a bummer!

• 3 weeks later...

Big update on the guppies! They had there first drop or at least one of them did. Can confirm 12 fry but there very well could be more and probably are. I also ordered the orange shrimp and they should be shipping sometime today, so look out for shrimp pictures to come!

image.png.c86dff7cc27ddc6bbbe4dd84cdbc5179.png

Also I set up a new tank! Its just a little 5.5 gallon that I modified into a cube. Waiting for the dwarf aquarium lily to go crazy. I also just added 4 little bronze corys. 

image.png.b16e87c08c6a796887b78d5f8c8a9361.png

20220225_173933.jpg

20220306_184334.jpg

Edited by Heierthanu
  • Like 1