Heya Friends!

Trindlebee

Hi there friendoritos~!

My name is Trinidad and I've recently taken an interest in the freshwater hobby --
I've always wanted to start up a fish tank as an adult and I've finally made a small purchase on a starter five gallon tank this week for aquatic plants and maybe shrimp? Though I think, once I get the hang of caring for an aquarium, I'd love to upgrade into something modestly bigger. 
I'm extremely grateful that aquarium co-op has an online presence as I've been binging a ton of videos from the channel, as well as those made by some of the employees and customers! And while I'm aware I have a little ways to go in-terms of tank cycling before I can support any aquatic critters, I'm genuinely excited to learn about aquatic plants and aqua scaping as a creative outlet. I welcome any other aquarium noobies to reach out, I'd love to make some hobby friends that are willing to share in their experience. I'm headed over to the shop in Edmonds on Friday, can't wait to see the crew in action and see Murphy in person. ;D!

• Like 7

Welcome to Nermlandia!

I miss living up in the area (Bellevue, then Bellingham, and then Maple Falls), happy for you to be so close to the best fish shop I know of. 

Adding plants on day 1, and adding as wide a variety as you can afford, will give you an opportunity to identify which plants will perform the best in your tanks, with your substrate and in your water. I learned water in Bellevue was very different than water in Bellingham, which was completely different than well water and artesian spring water in Maple Falls!

As for shrimp, they are sensitive to water changes and need a lot of permanently available food stuffs in their aquarium. That means that they have the best chance at survival if they don't go in a tank until a healthy beneficial bacteria colony has established itself, the tank is able to sustain plants, and the tank has already begun to grow algae and biofilm.

Add shrimp before that point, and the likelihood of starving shrimp to death, or having unstable water parameters kill the shrimp, is exponentially higher. 

The biggest learning curve is fine tuning how to successfully fertilize the planted tank with out injuring/poisoning inverts! (Snails and shrimp)

Once the hiccups have been identified and resolved, adding shrimp is much easier. 🌿🐠🌿

• Like 2

Good to know! I don't want to jeopardize needlessly killing a bunch of aquatic critters and I'm happy to wait until something hearty can thrive in the small tank. I will try to google and find nano fish that live harmoniously with shrimp for the future, incase I get to the point where I buy another tank while having something readily established for inverts. 🙂