Angel Fish - Selective Breeding

Brian

So, when I was a young boy and I purchased Black AngelFish I would get a black fish.  Today I see people advertise black or double black or even double dark black angel fish.  What you end up with is a grey or Smokey kind of looking fish.
A while back I started to selective breed my darkest fish to see if I could get a truly black angelfish.  
I was just wondering if anyone else has done anything like this?

I apologize for quality of photo, this is the current fish (and Darkest) I am working with.  

Brian 

• Like 1

Double black/double dark simply means that the angel has two copies of the D allele. Smoke is also a separate locus in angelfish genetics. It's possible that the fish that appear more smokey are smokey double darks. My two angels are both double dark, however one has the Philippine blue phenotype and it's affected the intensity of his color.

Your super veils look great! My girl is a new addition and she's transitioned well but her fins were damaged and need time to grow back.

20201008_143310.jpg

• Like 1

Angels are super fun, I'm glad I finally have the tank real estate to try for a unique look that isn't really common locally. Stores here are dominated by marbles and koi angels which I'm not a huge fan of. There are some awesome looking angels in those patterns but it's not for me, long-term I want to experiment with dark, gold, and blue angels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

So, when I was a young boy and I purchased Black AngelFish I would get a black fish.  Today I see people advertise black or double black or even double dark black angel fish.  What you end up with is a grey or Smokey kind of looking fish.
A while back I started to selective breed my darkest fish to see if I could get a truly black angelfish.  
I was just wondering if anyone else has done anything like this?

I apologize for quality of photo, this is the current fish (and Darkest) I am working with.  

Brian 

I was having a conversation about this same topic not too long ago.  It seems that the general consensus is that the black angels of today are just not of the same quality as the black angels of years past.  This conversation started as a result of my obtaining a small group of black angels that left me scratching my head.  On the other hand, I obtained a different group of black angels that were really nice and very, very dark.  I passed these on to a friend of mine since I've been working mostly with wild types and marbles lately.  He has a pair set aside and is expecting a spawn from them any day now.  Fingers crossed, as these should be really nice old school black angels!! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2020 at 9:05 PM, ange said:

Stores here are dominated by marbles and koi angels which I'm not a huge fan of. There are some awesome looking angels in those patterns but it's not for me, long-term I want to experiment with dark, gold, and blue angels.

I actually felt the same way and was thinking about blue when I was looking to get a pair. Right before going to pick up a few, I saw a YouTube video with Dean sitting in front of a 29 gallon tank with 13 beautiful koi ... so I ended up with a pair of koi 🙂 Good thing though, because 4 local shops said they sell well and would be willing to buy them.

I have a question, which I why I looked for this thread... I have a black marble and a koi that paired unintentionally. After pulling the eggs I finally have a batch that was not eaten. Just starting to vaguely look like "darts" ... what would you expect them to look like from a black marble and koi? Real hard to tell at this point, but almost looks to me like I see some light, orange, and a good amount of black almost like the koi with a lot of black. 

LogoNew_small_f6765851-f18f-49d9-b2b5-d9
ANGELSPLUS.COM

This section will give you a basic overview of angelfish genetics and how it applies to the different color...

ANGELFINS.CA

Angelfish Genetics Calculator - Breeding Supplies Shipping Supplies Health Products Heaters Fish Food Aqua...

here are some useful links worth reading and bookmarking

When I was in high school, back in late 80s-early 90s I was breeding angelfish out of my bedroom and selling to local stores, I had three pairs, a black, a marble and a gold. The black were so dark black that if the tank lights were off you would only see their eyes, and they produced pretty much all dark black babies, once in a while I would get a few lighter color ones, which I guess now would be what's called a smoky. I don't think I have seen any angels in a store or at a club meeting or auction that are as dark as the ones I had back then.

• Like 1