Apistogramma Viejita - Breeding

FrozenFins

I'm looking to breed some apistogramma. I've been pretty set for some borelli however theyve been hard to find. My waters pretty neutral, 7.0-7.3. However I've recentley seen the Viejita apisto. I've read that they want pretty acidic water (6-7ph) Do you think my ph at 7.3 would be fine for breeding them? I have mollys in the tank so i feel as if the ph cant go much more down.

I can't remember if viejita are clear water fishes but i think they are - if so kh will need to be around 1 ph around 6.0 and tds below 40. They will go through the routine in harder water but the eggs will not hatch. Also they are generally speaking a more finicky species and more aggressive than borelli. If you live in usa there are several well respected mail order places you can buy pairs of borelli but of course shipping will make it expensive unless you are buying other fishes. If you live in canada i don't know much about their market. A apistogramma that can handler harder water would be cockatoo; though i prefer borelli myself.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1