Lets see your brine shrimp hatcheries

pedrofisk

I used an old whiskey bottle for mine, a topfin betta heater for temp control, and the Co-op metal valves work very well for this. I wanted to make a glass one just for fun, I guess I have a little more confidence with a heater in it since it's glass. I swear it actually looks nice when it's clean!

20200716_202950.jpg.635451cc805bebc2660bff6d3d25b9ca.jpg

@Bill Smith

Wow, very nice. Counter top pretty.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have been using this setup for the last 13 years.

20200717_1354.JPG.e3cc63a290292486e2862ebc6727fff3.JPG

I dump the oldest of the 3 cones everyday and then setup a fresh batch. That way I always have brine shrimp in one of 3 categories.

1. Too old
  2. Too young
  3. Just right!

If I was starting now I would probably go with the Ziss hatchery.

@Bill Smith's hatchery setup above is absolutely mind boggling!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Totally,

Walk over, pullout rigid air tube, dump into sink, rinse cone, refill water, add a little less than 2 tablespoons marine salt, add 1/8 teaspoon eggs and done. 1 minute or so usually.

Do you shine a light at it form below or something to separate the shrimp from the eggs? There's always that waiting period...

20 hours ago, MickS77 said:

I've been using the Ziss hatchery for a few months now. Overall I'm very happy with it, I don't hate the stand. I'm considering spray painting the outside with black krylon fusion. I have trouble getting the BBS to settle with the ambient light in my basement. 

20200716_190610.jpg

Can you give me a rough idea of the height of the ziss hatchery including the base? I'm trying to think of a good place for it, where it can be kept warm.

8 minutes ago, Robin said:

Can you give me a rough idea of the height of the ziss hatchery including the base? I'm trying to think of a good place for it, where it can be kept warm.

Just measured, I'd say 15 inches with the thermometer installed 

5 hours ago, Bill Smith said:

Do you shine a light at it form below or something to separate the shrimp from the eggs? There's always that waiting period...

I made a Youtube Channel and posted a video just for you Bill:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 7/18/2020 at 3:01 AM, Cory said:

@Dean’s Fishroom Needs to see this thread, some great brine shrimp hatchers in here. 

Mine is based off of @Dean’s Fishroom design with some modifications. I guess now his former design. I have enjoyed reading this thread so much I went ahead and set up a second one on Friday.

770816216_2020-07-1621_07_32.jpg.29c4af00ca3f1d83890833a0372e8f14.jpg

Edited by pedrofisk

I had planned to make a small dish brine hatchery out of bits and pieces. Since I work in a lab, @Daniel's  Imhoff cones were just too cool.

Since I work in academia, they are also too expensive (though you can bet I will be haunting surplus). I found a hanging cone shaped vase on amazon that I hope will work, pack of 2 for $15. I will let you know if they work out. Thanks for all the fun ideas!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I had planned to make a small dish brine hatchery out of bits and pieces. Since I work in a lab, @Daniel's  Imhoff cones were just too cool.

Since I work in academia, they are also too expensive (though you can bet I will be haunting surplus). I found a hanging cone shaped vase on amazon that I hope will work, pack of 2 for $15. I will let you know if they work out. Thanks for all the fun ideas!

@Brandy,

You can have these 3 no charge if you want them. One has small crack, but I am pretty sure it doesn't leak. I don't remember why I have 2 sets, but sometimes I end up with 2 of the same thing. I might even have the stand for these. I will see if I can find it.

Cones.jpg.45500d444ef8407be99dfce57a0ab04c.jpg

Edited by Daniel
forgot to include photo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1