I only have a Nerite Snail but their are babies everywhere!

elsa.eve

I recently got a nerite snail from aquarium co-op, as shown in the image.  I have only added the snail and new gravel to the tank.  The gravel was dry when I bought it.  I have no clue how the baby snails could have got in there.  The only plants in the tank are ones that I took out of my other tank, which is baby snail free and has two other nerites.  Can someone please explain to me what is going on?

Screenshot 2022-02-07 190127.png

Congratulations, you're likely about to experience an all out snail invasion. They're good housekeepers but all can breed like crazy if there's lots of food for them. I spent months manually removing bladder snails from my 75. But then I put in some 'no planeria' and they're all gone. I had no idea that it would kill all the snails. Personally I love Ramshorn snails though.

On 2/7/2022 at 8:21 PM, elsa.eve said:

MVIMG_20220207_191826.jpg

MVIMG_20220207_191141.jpg

i also found this when looking around the back of the tank, not sure if its alive because it has no antennae or eyes.  Again i don't know where this snail came from, it is not the nerite

MVIMG_20220207_191457.jpg

Top 2 are little bladder snails, they probably came in on plants as eggs. If they get bigger than your pinky nail, I misidentified and it's a baby pond snail. All my pond snails are lighter and more speckled.

Bottom one is a spotted ramshorn.

@Guppysnail has gotten me hooked on snails, and our pond snail, Pebbles, has won over my spouse

20220203_202918.jpg.abf252e7a6aa7e5ebd6016db81444f1d.jpg

My favorite thing about the pond snails is they aggressively clean leaves of everything, and have yet to hurt healthy leaves (damaged leaves are eaten before I get a chance to prune), and each snail has a different personality. 

Plus, the spots are like snail fingerprints, every pond snail has a different pattern.

What makes them so expressive though, is their antennae look like batwings, and convey inquisitiveness, joy, and "yum" as very different reactions. 

• Love 2