How to glue metal to wood? Advice wanted.

OnlyGenusCaps

So, I'm trying to cover a powder coated steel aquarium frame with some wood to hide the sump, but I've run into a bit of a snag.  I plan to attach magnets to thin (1/4 inch) plywood.  First go was epoxy.  Never hardened.  That could be my fault.  Probably is.  But it makes me leery to try it again.  Today I got some caulk recommended to me at "big box store" and while it stuck well to the wood, it didn't even pretend to try to stick to the magnet.  Masking tape could peel the thing off from the caulk.  So now I have two board that I can't use;except to try to do glue tests.

I'm open to ideas.  How would you glue a magnet to wood?

I’d go with a 5 minute epoxy.  You have to get equal amounts of each component, then mix well.  Sometimes the first part you squeeze out will be uneven.  Just discard that and do a new “pool”.  Mix up more than you think you will need.  You’re more likely to be uneven if you only squeeze out a tiny bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 7:40 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’d go with a 5 minute epoxy.  You have to get equal amounts of each component, then mix well.  Sometimes the first part you squeeze out will be uneven.  Just discard that and do a new “pool”.  Mix up more than you think you will need.  You’re more likely to be uneven if you only squeeze out a tiny bit.

So, you are saying that I 🤬 up the epoxy, and I need to do it right.  That checks out and I believe you.  I guess I was just hoping for an easier way out.  Oh well.  Back to scraping glue off wood, and trying to be better at DIY.  😒

On 2/7/2022 at 9:30 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So, you are saying that I 🤬 up the epoxy, and I need to do it right.  That checks out and I believe you.  I guess I was just hoping for an easier way out.  Oh well.  Back to scraping glue off wood, and trying to be better at DIY.  😒

Well, if it didn’t set then there was either something wrong with your epoxy (very old, not the right proportions, or didn’t mix right), or not the right epoxy for the conditions.  Epoxy can be a pain, but it’s the best I can think of for joining dissimilars.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:45 PM, Odd Duck said:

Well, if it didn’t set then there was either something wrong with your epoxy (very old, not the right proportions, or didn’t mix right), or not the right epoxy for the conditions.  Epoxy can be a pain, but it’s the best I can think of for joining dissimilars.

I mean, you are correct.  I just don't want it to be true.  Okay, back at it tomorrow.  I'll post how poorly I do.  😆

On 2/7/2022 at 9:49 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I mean, you are correct.  I just don't want it to be true.  Okay, back at it tomorrow.  I'll post how poorly I do.  😆

I’m sure you’ll do fine!  Just make sure your epoxy isn’t as old as I am!  😉 

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2022 at 9:35 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

How would you glue a magnet to wood?

How big is the contact surface and how much weight it has to support?

I would probably try glue tape if extra-thickness is not a problem. It sticks to metals but I never tried wood, it might need some smoothing to work.

If the magnets are small, I would put them into a casing of sorts. For example, a plank of wood (same thickness as the magnet) with a hole.  Peg the magnet into it (with some superglue  just in case),  then glue the plank to the panel with any adhesive that works for wood. 

1737532279_gluetape.jpg.2a44defa890761700d73350bac7a24d2.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 9:50 PM, HH Morant said:

Can you put one magnet on the wood and the other magnet on the outside of the aquarium Where it can attract the wood magnet through the glass? Like a magnet-mounted powerhead.

I would do a magnet sandwich, but as mentioned I'm trying to get this to stick to a powder coated steel frame.  It's 2 inches thick, and I don't want to think about the size magnet I'd need to get that to work through the frame.  My keys would rip out of my pocket when I walked by.  😉  All kidding aside, I like that technique and my sump will use a sock holder doing this, plus I want my wave maker pumps for this tank to be the ones that do that as well.  Attaching equipment like that is awesome!

On 2/7/2022 at 10:34 PM, Fonske said:

How big is the contact surface and how much weight it has to support?

I would probably try glue tape if extra-thickness is not a problem. It sticks to metals but I never tried wood, it might need some smoothing to work.

If the magnets are small, I would put them into a casing of sorts. For example, a plank of wood (same thickness as the magnet) with a hole.  Peg the magnet into it (with some superglue  just in case),  then glue the plank to the panel with any adhesive that works for wood.

So, I'm using 0.25 inch diameter magnets.  They are quite strong, but obviously don't provide a large surface area.  I'm curious about this glue tape.  Tell me more!  If not for this project, it seems like a useful bit of knowledge for the future.

When I was considering actual plywood, which is heavier than the stuff I am using now, I was thinking about counter sinking epoxy coated magnets, but battling potential warping and holding up that much weight was going to require very large magnets.  So that idea was chucked in the bin - like most of mine.  😜

On 2/8/2022 at 6:34 AM, Colu said:

Just a thought you could use magnet's attached to the wood

The wood is certainly thin enough that I could use magnets outside to hold it up.  The down side there would be the aesthetics, and I suppose the small amount of extra labour (I put the "u" in there just for you) in collecting the magnets each time.  If I fail too many more times, maybe I will go this route.

On 2/8/2022 at 6:59 AM, Mydonkeyfish said:

At the hardware store i have seen magnetic tape if that could work?

That's a good idea.  I think it might not be quite strong enough to hold the weight.  But I like your thinking!

Thanks everyone!  I'm going to reattempt the dreaded epoxy.  Wish me luck!

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 9:11 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So, I'm using 0.25 inch diameter magnets.  They are quite strong, but obviously don't provide a large surface area.  I'm curious about this glue tape.  Tell me more!  If not for this project, it seems like a useful bit of knowledge for the future.

My understanding is that the magnets are for the panels to be easily removable, is that correct? Such small diameter won't work with the glue tape, it needs some area to hold the vertical weight. If the goal were to semi-permanently glue the panels to the frame, the tape would most likely work. It's sticky (very sticky) to smooth surfaces.  It can be removed without residue though (with a lot of effort). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO don't use epoxy, it may work but since epoxy is typically rigid/brittle you run the risk of it delamanating from the wood or magnet.

I think your best bet if possible would be to drill a small cavity in the wood for the magnet to fit into and just super glue it in. If that's not an option I would try a hot glue gun, apply hot glue to the wood and stick the magnet on, then run hot glue around the edges of the magnet. Hot glue can created a pretty good bond and has a little flex.

I used to be all about epoxy and it was all I used to use, but in the past year-ish I've only used either super glue, hot glue, or both for projects.

Edit: And with all adhesives surface prep is important, taking the time to lightly roughened and clean surfaces can save a lot of headache.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2022 at 7:47 AM, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

If that's not an option I would try a hot glue gun, apply hot glue to the wood and stick the magnet on, then run hot glue around the edges of the magnet.

I'm already using hot glue to attache the acoustic foam to the panel.  I'll definitely try this.  I guess I just figured it wouldn't work with the metal.  It's set up next to the project already.  Easy enough to test.  Great idea!  Thanks!

If not, I might just track down that crazy magnetic tape that @Mydonkeyfish found. 

Tape and hot glue - now we are at my skill level of DIY: beginner, set on easy mode. 

I just looked that tape up and it's really expensive for my purposes.  Let's try the hot glue first.  😁

• Like 2

On 2/8/2022 at 10:26 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

I have had great success with "crazy glue". Its non toxic and seems to hold my plants and pots in place pretty well. Did you use a premade epoxy or did you mix your own? A lot of them arent really that good for "underwater" applications and  crack and chip.

Gotta read through the thread a little more throughly.

@OnlyGenusCaps

Good luck! Let us know how it tunrs out.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1

Thanks everyone for the advice!  I decided now that I have some scrap, I may as well run some tests with different options.  Plus, I have decided to do a polyurethane coating on the wood to try to prevent it from warping from changes in moisture, and I can't do that until we get days that are at least 10C from what I am reading.  So, I have a little time anyhow, I've decided.

For the test, I swung by the place with the helpful hardware man, and she was!  I'm going to retest my epoxy, and do the hot glue, plus a few other adhesive possibilities.  I going to think of the tape as a last resort because it is just so much more expensive.  I'll let you all know how it comes out tomorrow.

Thanks again!  This community is great!

Well, the results are in.  I tested, what was it, 7 things, I think.  The epoxy did work!  But, the cheap wood laminate pealed in a spot.  Because of the epoxy?  Honestly, I don't know.  But, @TheDukeAnumber1, solid advice on the flexible stuff, sir!  The rigid stuff, like liquid nails started cracking when I snapped the magnets on and off repeatedly.  The hot glue also worked, but the nickel plating on the magnets seemed to let peal back more easily than for the winner.  For the record though, I think either the epoxy or hot glue would have worked.  But, I've decided to go with a caulk: Loctite Power Grab Ultimate Crystal Clear.  It's easier to work with than either the hot glue or the epoxy.  It stays flexible, and grabs both things well.  All I have to do is squirt a very small amount on the wood, press the magnet into it, and then I covered it with masking tape to hold it firm (probably an unnecessary step, but I'll continue for peace of mind).  I couldn't pick it off with my nails, and it sowed no signs of wear from the snap tests.  Plus, the sound of the snap seemed dampened when it and the hot glue were used, which I hope will help the magnet avoid cracking over time.  The one down side is that it absolutely needs 24hrs to cure.  Check it in 12 and you'll be convinced it will never set.  By 24hrs, it has magically cured and the magnet was solid in place.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help!  It was quite disheartening to have the epoxy mess happen, but thanks to you all, I believe this has worked out much better in the end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1