BBS general question

Karen B.

Greetings Nerms!

I was wondering - can you give too much BBS to your fish?

I am always afraid to always feed too much (I probably do, with all food), but my fish don’t seem constipated or have long stringy poo (knock on wood), and there is no left over food ever at the bottom (my cory are pigs!) And when it comes to BBS, including for my betta, I like to give them a lot.  Keeps them hunting for a while. 

Do neocaradina shrimp like BBS?

What is the longest safe hatching time in a zist hatchery? I have the worst ever hatching rate even after 48 hours. I wouldn’t mind too much if it wasn’t for the hassle of then separating the unhatched eggs from the BBS (unhatched eggs sink or float like the shrimps so the light trick doesn’t help that much).

Thank you!

• Like 1

BBS aren’t a comprehensive food diet for adult fish. They can serve the protein needs of growing fry for awhile, but adults, in my opinion, really need more variety. I do not think that neocaridina eat BBS all that much. They’re filter feeders, eating smaller particles.

I find the CoOp BBS is best to pull at 36 hrs. I confess to using another brand recently… not happy with how it’s turning out.

My formula is 3x tablespoons of salt / 1x tablespoon of eggs / 1 liter of water / 36 hrs.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 8:54 PM, Fish Folk said:

BBS aren’t a comprehensive food diet for adult fish. They can serve the protein needs of growing fry for awhile, but adults, in my opinion, really need more variety. I do not think that neocaridina eat BBS all that much. They’re filter feeders, eating smaller particles.

I find the CoOp BBS is best to pull at 36 hrs. I confess to using another brand recently… not happy with how it’s turning out.

My formula is 3x tablespoons of salt / 1x tablespoon of eggs / 1 liter of water / 36 hrs.

@Fish Folk

@Patrick_G

I don’t feed them exclusively on BBS. I feed my fish twice a day, usually once  or twice with a mix of dry food (bunch of  different kind of pellets and flakes all mixed together). About every 2 days, they get 1 feeding of BBS, and once or twice a week, 1 dry feeding is replaced with bloodworms. And on Sunday, I don’t feed them at all. My mom keeps saying I am cruel to do that, hehe.

• Like 2