Jump to content

Do I need to "baby proof" my tank for my pleco?


Gannon
 Share

Recommended Posts

I recently got a green phantom pleco, a fish I've wanted for a very long time. He's a bit small right now and in quarantine. I have a piece of driftwood that is quite large and has a lot of openings in the back and places underneath where I fear bottom dwellers would get stuck or injured. Also I have piles of rocks, but less concerned about those. I filled one of the holes, the most concerning with some filter floss. Do i need to worry about this and fill up the rest or is it nothing to worry about? Had one rainbow fish disappear in this tank a long time ago and I have worried that it got stuck somewhere like this where I had no chance of finding it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 2/7/2022 at 12:27 PM, Gannon said:

I recently got a green phantom pleco, a fish I've wanted for a very long time. He's a bit small right now and in quarantine. I have a piece of driftwood that is quite large and has a lot of openings in the back and places underneath where I fear bottom dwellers would get stuck or injured. Also I have piles of rocks, but less concerned about those. I filled one of the holes, the most concerning with some filter floss. Do i need to worry about this and fill up the rest or is it nothing to worry about? Had one rainbow fish disappear in this tank a long time ago and I have worried that it got stuck somewhere like this where I had no chance of finding it. 

Having had lost fish myself due to them getting stuck, etc., I would suggest blocking any holes or crevices where you feel a fish could get stuck. Especially in this case, as it is a fish that you have wanted for a long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2022 at 2:35 PM, Zenzo said:

Having had lost fish myself due to them getting stuck, etc., I would suggest blocking any holes or crevices where you feel a fish could get stuck. Especially in this case, as it is a fish that you have wanted for a long time. 

Will do! Glad my fears on this weren't overblown as is often the case

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think most plecos can swim backward if they can get a hold on something to push off of with like their fin or mouth or something, but I'd look into that. If so it "should" have no issues getting out of anywhere it can get into. Plecos like small tight areas though as well, like the caves and nooks they nest in. I would hope that means they could get out of a tight spot. I've had to block up holes or redo a bit of decoration and things for some fish before, but Kuhlis are way different than plecos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2022 at 2:38 PM, Blaha said:

I think most plecos can swim backward if they can get a hold on something to push off of with like their fin or mouth or something, but I'd look into that. If so it "should" have no issues getting out of anywhere it can get into. Plecos like small tight areas though as well, like the caves and nooks they nest in. I would hope that means they could get out of a tight spot. I've had to block up holes or redo a bit of decoration and things for some fish before, but Kuhlis are way different than plecos.

These were my thoughts exactly. Going to offer some pleco caves and fun safe stuff like that while blocking as much as I can that could be dangerous

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, Gannon said:

These were my thoughts exactly. Going to offer some pleco caves and fun safe stuff like that while blocking as much as I can that could be dangerous

Plecos can swim backwards, and tend to get fins stuck in the process. Guppysnail had a baby pleco get stuck in the sponge filter, I believe. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...