Best 3.0 moon color

JoeQ

Im running the 3.0 on a 36g bowfront with Bentleys daysim pretty successfully. I range the strength between 30% ~ 50% depending on plant height. My question is: what color(s) is best for a moon phase. I'm trying to stay away from blue & warm white, both colors seam to hit my algea issues hard. I'd like to keep it to a single color but if not im willing to try any moon light simulation(s) people throw at me. 

• Administrators
On 2/7/2022 at 11:55 AM, JoeQ said:

Im running the 3.0 on a 36g bowfront with Bentleys daysim pretty successfully. I range the strength between 30% ~ 50% depending on plant height. My question is: what color(s) is best for a moon phase. I'm trying to stay away from blue & warm white, both colors seam to hit my algea issues hard. I'd like to keep it to a single color but if not im willing to try any moon light simulation(s) people throw at me. 

Do you plan on having the moonlight setting on all night? I have the 3.0 light on one of my tanks, and ended up deciding that having any light on over night just created more algae. Maybe play with the sunset settings to get the desired look in the evening while you are viewing the tank, and then have it go dark over night. 

On 2/7/2022 at 3:27 PM, Zenzo said:

Do you plan on having the moonlight setting on all night? I have the 3.0 light on one of my tanks, and ended up deciding that having any light on over night just created more algae. Maybe play with the sunset settings to get the desired look in the evening while you are viewing the tank, and then have it go dark over night. 

No it would only run for an hour or so which would cut down on the sunset time if anything 

• Administrators
On 2/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, JoeQ said:

No it would only run for an hour or so which would cut down on the sunset time if anything 

In that case, I don't know if an hour of dimly-lit blue lighting or anything will change much as it relates to algae. I would suggest starring by playing with the sunset setting and extending the duration. This way that last hour will slowly dim down and maybe give the desired effect that you are going for. Or, use the same light/colors that you have during the sunset period, but set the moonlight time for an hour at like 3% of what the other setting is. This way it will be the same color pattern and brightness as the last 3-5 minutes of the sunset time. 

On 2/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, Zenzo said:

In that case, I don't know if an hour of dimly-lit blue lighting or anything will change much as it relates to algae. I would suggest starring by playing with the sunset setting and extending the duration. This way that last hour will slowly dim down and maybe give the desired effect that you are going for. Or, use the same light/colors that you have during the sunset period, but set the moonlight time for an hour at like 3% of what the other setting is. This way it will be the same color pattern and brightness as the last 3-5 minutes of the sunset time. 

I'll probably just add 30 minutes of 1 percent cool white which seems more natural to me (and hopefully the plants). My hopes of this post i guess was that someone smarter than me would chime in saying "yeah, i got the perfect setting!" saving me from doing my own homework! 🤣

• Haha 1

There is no doubt I will on account of my OCD! 🤣 I am also highly indecisive tho, and most of the time need to be push started in the right direction. If not most of the times I just endup spining my wheels. (paralysis from analyzes) 

Edited by JoeQ
Clarity
  • Haha 2

On 2/7/2022 at 1:57 PM, JoeQ said:

If not most of the times I just endup spining my wheels. (paralysis from analyzes) 

That’s so funny! There should be a support thread for those of us who can’t decide what substrate to use or what filter is best or what fish will work etc! 30 years ago I would have consulted one of my few books on aquariums and maybe asked the person at the local fish store. Now I have to wade through a deluge of information.

• Like 1
  • Love 1