Is this ich? (new fish from co-op)

kevcol

I just picked up 10 swordtails Saturday and noticed white spots on fins and tails on two of them. They spots were not there yesterday.

Unfortunately, I had put them in my community tank (along with five Corys, a bristlenose plecos and an octopus plant all bought Saturday), without first quarantining.

I pulled the two out for a makeshift hospital tank and have dosed the hospital and main tank with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy and am cranking up the tank heat. 

Any other advice? I once lost a bunch of fish to ich, so want to nip this in the bud if possible

88D9AF84-7B90-4CAC-B170-CDBC8765B647.jpeg

E4492B9C-3767-4393-8273-439B1028A5D3.jpeg

799F548C-DADB-46D1-B4AD-B6B734928DE6.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like Ich. Sorry to see. I'm not a huge believer in herbal / alternative remedies. If It were me, I'd straightway go get some Ich-X and follow the instructions to the T.

Ich tomites fall off and can be lodged in the gravel. I always gravel vac when I change the prescribed amount of water, according to the treatment I use.

• Like 1

I think @Colu means herbal remedies *aren't* effective. Return or trash that (Imagitarium remedy). If no access to Ich X, I've successfully used API Super Ick which can be a more common remedy in box stores - it will stain decorations, silicone on the tank etc but it will cure the fish.. Just pull any pet snails or shrimp (you didn't mention so should be good)***just don't let box stores also talk you into mela fix or pima fix- still herbal- doesn't work. (the box store that sells imagitarium may also sell Fritz, I see Coppersafe on their site that is supposed to fight Ich though I cannot speak to it's effectiveness, maybe someone else can)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 2/7/2022 at 9:47 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I think @Colu means herbal remedies *aren't* effective. Return or trash that. If no access to Ich X, I've successfully used API Super Ick 

Herbal treatments aren't very  effective at treating most disease they mention on the bottle melafix and primafix are suppose to treat bacterial infections they are only good as a mild antiseptic to help minor cuts to heal anything more serious you need kanaplex or maracyn it the same for herbal ich medication ick x is my go to or API super ick cure 

Thanks, all. So I went into the co-op  to get Ich X and chatted with a staffer there, who thought this was fin rot.  My ph balance is low (6.0) and I didn’t realize these livebearers need it higher. 

So on his advice, I dropped some crushed coral in my filter to boost ph.

Fingers crossed that does the trick. If not, will go with the Ich-X

Edited by kevcol
Clarity

On 2/8/2022 at 8:50 PM, MarciGrey said:

I'm not sure what my water parameters are. I'm still learning. And the dots were white and on the fins and body.

I'll try to get a better pic of my beta.

Marci, this may or may not help, but I had something that looked a lot like ich and it ended up being Epistylis.  As soon as the food meds and garlic guard got here there was a marked difference after the first feeding for me.  This AM I finally saw zero spots on the fish after just short of two weeks of only medicated feed 1-2 times a day.  And I've been having to over feed to make sure the sickest looking tetras get enough to be dosed.  

The spots do seem to come and go a little bit.  If the sad looking cardinals bloom some more spots tonight I'm going to net them and put them in a little mesh breeder box thing so that I can target feed them.  

Colu's suggestion is what I used to treat.  I had been (what felt like) pounding them with Ich-X for close to a week and it kept getting worse.

Edited by jwcarlson