Big Bad Blackworm Tower – Culture Journal

On 3/24/2022 at 10:23 PM, modified lung said:

Dance party:

😆 😂 🤣 

Good job!  I’ve been able to grow blackworms in a couple plant only tanks but don’t feel like I’ve truly grown them in my culture tanks.  They stay healthy enough until fed and maybe have grown a little bit, but not in enough numbers to truly say I’m growing them in sufficient quantity to make them an ongoing food source without buying more.

• Thanks 1

New to keeping worms, not really culturing just keeping them alive with minimal effort, been following your journal for care ideas. I found they mine do well just eating yeast. They seem make a lot of babies with just yeast and water stays cleaner longer.

@Beardedbillygoat1975 Worth a try for sure. One thing I'm wondering is if water flow through the tower is important. I think I mentioned this in the thread somewhere already but at one point I lowered the aeration expecting more worms to climb the tower to get closer to the surface for the oxygen. Instead they all left the tower. Then when the aeration was turned up again they climbed back in. So you might have to drill quite a lot of holes or maybe slits into the PVC.

@Ujaynme yeast gives me anxiety lol. I've gassed out a few cultures of adult brine shrimp.

@Torrey more than just this one?

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I haven't updated this for a while. I've had a few setbacks.

I had the blackworm tank on a bottom shelf which isn't easily in sight. After noticing the pothos plant turned yellow, I bent over to find the air pump had stopped working and half the culture died out. 

A few weeks later another major die off happened. Despite a number of water changes, nitrates we're still in the 20–30 ppm range. Every other water parameter was normal and before this nitrates we're always less than 5 ppm. So it's possible blackworms are sensitive to nitrates.

At this point I had maybe 20% of the population as before. I moved half of what was left outside into this half barrel above a large outdoor tank/pond where they're making a big comeback.

The half barrel has a rechargeable air pump and a 1 watt water pump (32gph) both hooked up to a 30 watt solar panel circulating water through from the pond. The pumps use so little power that the panels still provide enough to run them on cloudy days. PXL_20220705_031344617.jpg.8adaee8c9a9f0d3b0c5bd22c7effd886.jpg

To save space I might replace the half barrel with a 2 or 3 or maybe 5 gallon bucket. But the half barrel holds about 20 gallons of water and the more water, the less likely there will be a die off if some equipment fails again.

I've been feeding them passion fruit through the top of the tower:PXL_20220705_031131328.jpg.3b6ef37ad1a056d0512b581687dece32.jpg

The other half of the survivors went back in the ten gallon tank indoors and are being fed frozen vegetables. They're making a comeback as well but not as fast.

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

You should try an experiment to see if you can increase your propagation rates. Try taking some aquascaping scissors and snipping the worms in half as they hang out of your towers. I'm would be interested to hear the results if anyone try this, you could do a side by side run with a normal tower and one you trim weekly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The blackworms have been living outdoors in a bucket in one of my 300 gal tanks. 

PXL_20221129_001938077.jpg.de62f61e412a69dc1d9aa515fae46c48.jpg

A tiny 1 watt pump in a floating filter sock pumps water into the bucket which flows out a screened hole drilled in the front.

PXL_20221129_001053157.jpg.e037a92ae9992f07d61133a43dadcd6d.jpg

I've been placing water lettuce in the bucket with the lid mostly closed so the worms have at least a small constant source of food for when i forget to give them more vegetables.

PXL_20221129_001041494.jpg.f6a34debb66e277e508298aac7d00d0d.jpg

They seem to like it.

PXL_20221129_000900495.jpg.9184b0937ae17781e6a99725b4fc5178.jpg

I did have another die off ...sort of. I hooked an extra, more powerful air pump to my solar controller to run a protein skimmer which took far more power than expected. The extra load drained the battery bank over night right before the first overcast day of the year and the five more that followed. The bucket was quite packed with blackworms (sorry no new pictures since the last one in October) and I'm guessing oxygen went very low. It looks like most of the worms crawled out of the bucket and into the main tank where the eager ricefish were waiting. Oops.

But why fight your own incompetence when you can embrace it? That's what I always say. I cut a small solar panel off and old solar air pump that kept jamming and connected it to the 1 watt water pump. 

PXL_20221129_001247332.jpg.9586b2eefbdd306446620868af25a56f.jpg

If the pump only runs during the day, when the population of blackworms gets too high, they'll leave the bucket in the late afternoon and become a snack for the ricefish. A periodic auto blackworm dispenser. Maybe that will work out. The blackworms hanging onto the water lettuce will still likely get enough oxygen and ensure there are always some in the bucket to repopulate. I thought the tower was empty but upon dumping half of it into a container I saw hundreds of very short, recently segmented blackworms were still in there. Repopulate they shall ...again.

@Beardedbillygoat1975

• Like 2

My idea for buying another culture is 2 fold. 

1. my new 60 g Hillstream tank I just dump half of a culture in there and call it good. Hopefully it becomes a constant food source for the fish 

2. I’m starting a 20 g food barrel - 50 w heater set to 68, air stone, scuds, daphnia and leaf liter and floaters. Hopefully I just scoop a net in, get some live foods and that’s what’s for dinner.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2022 at 8:49 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

2. I’m starting a 20 g food barrel - 50 w heater set to 68, air stone, scuds, daphnia and leaf liter and floaters. Hopefully I just scoop a net in, get some live foods and that’s what’s for dinner.

I do this with a 55 gal barrel in my backyard but with no heater or air stone and Simocephalus instead of Daphnia.

• Like 1