Save my 29 gallon tank!

Well, I'm being dramatic here.

I set up my 29 about five months ago, and it had been thriving with boisterous growth until recently. I noticed the plants have been growing more slowly, and a lot of algae is taking over. I'm fine with some of the algae, because it looks exceptionally nice growing on the driftwood, but I have some hair(?) algae growing on my water wisteria and a BBA outbreak on my scarlet temple. I'll list as much details with photos below:

Stats:

- Nitrates: ~25ppm

- Dosing: 5mL of Fluval Gro+ every two weeks or so (inconsistent due to my forgetful nature 😅)

- Stocking: 3x Panda Garras, 11x Harlequin Rasboras, 1x Krib and Pearl Gourami, and 1x Nerite Snail

- Water Changes: About every other week

My own Diagnoses:

- Not enough nutrients, I could try getting root tabs or dosing more consistently, as it is a very heavily-planted aquarium

- Not cleaning my sponge filter often enough, could contribute to the mulm buildup? I clean it about every 1-2 months (again, I need to get into the habit of this)

Evidence, I mean photos:

IMG_5683.jpg.17c291a956620d35f4c3e7967cfe691e.jpgIMG_5684.jpg.8691e52c8ccce807cae1a966a9199fa2.jpgIMG_5685.jpg.6f923d237642433ba86521803fce6874.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 9:19 AM, JoeQ said:

What kind of lights are you running? For how long? Are they on a timer? 

Also, how's your flow? Any dead spots? 

After extensive searching, I cannot seem to find the brand of lights, I want to say they're (what I think is) an obscure brand called AQQA. They're on for about nine hours it looks like.

Just checked and it looks like the other half of my aquarium isn't receiving much flow, actually! I should address that! 🙂

On 2/6/2022 at 9:32 AM, lefty o said:

you could probably use some more nutrients, but the hair algae im seeing points also to too many hours of light, or too high of intensity.

Okay, I can readjust my light intensity! should I dim it? As said in the post above, it's on for about nine hours (I think that may be too long).

Edited by Oblivious_666
I forgot to answer another question

Just to pipe in here, I have some pretty intense lights on a couple of my aquariums and despite dimmer switches and being on a timer if my plants get tall enough I tend to see plenty of hair algae, they like it. The lower down the plant the less light/less algae. 

Flow in this case doesn't really matter- though a wise man in an Aquarium Co-op video said "the more flow, the more algae" so he didn't do flow (also doesn't have to change water and has an amazing shop).

IMO it's your lighting that's doing it. 

• Like 2

You can either turn down the intensity or shorten the time period when the lights are on.

I like to have the light on so I can enjoy the aquarium, so I would turn down the intensity for a week or two and see how that works. If you still have too much algae (you will always have some), then turn down the intensity a little more.

You should also check to see if the tank is getting natural sunlight from a window at some point during the day. My experience is that even a little natural light can cause a lot of algae. You can draw curtains or pull the shades to limit natural light. You can also consider moving the aquarium if that is practical.

Good luck, @Oblivious_666!

I am a little afraid to ask how you chose that name.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:38 AM, Oblivious_666 said:

After extensive searching, I cannot seem to find the brand of lights, I want to say they're (what I think is) an obscure brand called AQQA. They're on for about nine hours it looks like.

Just checked and it looks like the other half of my aquarium isn't receiving much flow, actually! I should address that! 🙂

Okay, I can readjust my light intensity! should I dim it? As said in the post above, it's on for about nine hours (I think that may be too long).

9 hours is wayyyy too long. try 6-7 depending on intensity. if it is really bright, 6.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, HH Morant said:

You can either turn down the intensity or shorten the time period when the lights are on.

I like to have the light on so I can enjoy the aquarium, so I would turn down the intensity for a week or two and see how that works. If you still have too much algae (you will always have some), then turn down the intensity a little more.

You should also check to see if the tank is getting natural sunlight from a window at some point during the day. My experience is that even a little natural light can cause a lot of algae. You can draw curtains or pull the shades to limit natural light. You can also consider moving the aquarium if that is practical.

Good luck, @Oblivious_666!

I am a little afraid to ask how you chose that name.

Okay! I can definitely adjust the intensity of the light! It's covered by my snake enclosures from the window so I'm sure the algae is from the light only! Luckily I'm always so busy with work and other hobbies, so I don't mind turning down the hours much. I absolutely love the small coat of algae on the driftwood I have so I'm very happy with some!

Haha, it's not too bad of a story, no one usually uses the username Oblivious, and the 666 was just the first number that popped in my head being a young metalhead. 😜

On 2/6/2022 at 9:57 AM, lefty o said:

9 hours is wayyyy too long. try 6-7 depending on intensity. if it is really bright, 6.

Okay! I will adjust accordingly! 😊 Will definitely do the same with all of my tanks- as I do have a bit of a problem with that in my ten gallon actually

On 2/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Just to pipe in here, I have some pretty intense lights on a couple of my aquariums and despite dimmer switches and being on a timer if my plants get tall enough I tend to see plenty of hair algae, they like it. The lower down the plant the less light/less algae. 

Flow in this case doesn't really matter- though a wise man in an Aquarium Co-op video said "the more flow, the more algae" so he didn't do flow (also doesn't have to change water and has an amazing shop).

IMO it's your lighting that's doing it. 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Same wise man in the co-op video said rhizone plants need 4 hours of light, stem plants 6. I run my lights for 8 but I dim them back a lot more than they are capable. So I have to deal with the algae consequences (which if you fiddle with your light you can get it to where there isn't much if any algae)

I believe the flow question was in response to the BBA outbreak I also have- I've always struggled with algae control (it's hit or miss with me), so I could be far off with that. 😛

I didn't read your whole thread, but with more nutrients you'll intensify your thread algea problem which you are making worse with 1 huge fertilizer dose. There is too much going on here, if it were me I'd salvage what I could, remove all dead organic material and start over. Maybe also pickup a diverse algea cleanup crew.