Senegal Bichir

SuzanM

Anybody have any experience with Senegal Bichirs?  We have one, approximately 7 inches long, along with 2 Three spot gourami and 1 green rainbow fish in a 40 gallon breeder at my work place. The bichir (who we call Kimmy) was left in the tank a year ago by an employee who moved and could not find a home for him/her.  Kimmy has been on a diet strictly of Hikari sinking carnivore pellets and sometimes frozen blood worms. (we used to have a couple of Platy's in tank too and Kimmy ate one so I brought the others home). 40-50% water changes done every two weeks and water parameters checked weekly.  This morning it was noted that Kimmy did not respond to seeing food as she  usually does and she seems lethargic.   I only go into work once a week and Kimmy was fine last week that I noted.  Nothing noted on Kimmy's extremities.   I did a 50% water change today and  I also recommended that we should start offering a varied diet.  I know this is not much to go on but I am looking for any and all input.  Concerned about Kimmy's lethargy. I have no pictures of Kimmy but can get them.  Thank you.

Can you take some photos of him and send it on here? It might be that the tank is too small for him.

I'm not well versed in Senegals, but I know that Ornate Birchirs need at least 100 gallons, so maybe try getting him a larger tank, maybe not a 100 gallon, but maybe a 60 gallon.

Though I'd still send those photos, it may be a disease.