Sponge filters

Don H

Hi all, 

I’m new to the forum.  I have kept aquariums for over 40 years.  I started with a goldfish I won at a school fair when I was 5.

When I started, filters were plastic square cases with carbon rocks and cotton with an air pump.  I moved on to hang on back filters, which are mostly what I own now.  I currently only have 3 of my 10 tanks set up, but I’m going to gradually set them all up now that I have room for them.  

My question is about sponge filters since I’m new to using them.  Aquarium coop has a medium filter for 20 gallons and up or a large filter for 40 gallons and up.  I want to use one in one of my 29 gallon tanks and was wondering what size would be best.  
Right now it just has 2 plants in it and some ramshorn snails.  Pearl weed and bacopa carolinia, but I plan on adding variatus platties and corydoras.  I know the platties will breed and possibly the corydoras, I have other tanks I can move them to to avoid overcrowding, and I can always give some away.  
I’m currently cycling a small sponge filter in this tank for a 10 gallon I want to set up with shrimp.  I unplugged the old whisper 3 HOB I was using for the tank because the impeller went on it and I need to find a new one that fits.  I’m not sure if they have any since this whisper was from before tetra bought them out.  The tank is doing well with the small sponge filter, but there’s only the 2 plants and a few snails in it. 

• Like 1

Hi there! Welcome to the forum and the awesome world of sponge filters. I think you'd be just fine running a medium as long as your bioload doesn't get too out of control (which would only mean you squeeze it out more often). I actually run 2 sponges in my 20 gallon tall tanks but one is run by a lithium backed air pump so if the power goes out one pump still runs. It's a bit of an over filtration I suppose because the filters are both rated for "up to 20 gallons". The Co-op sponges are VERY BIG, which is great but I think it makes for you to be able to size down just a little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always try to keep back up filters too.  Everything seems to break at night just before bed when everything is closed.  

I had downsized everything for a while and now I’m going through everything I have to make sure it still works.  Most of it does.  I had to glue a few impellers and they’re more likely to make noise when you glue them, so that’s why I want to find replacements.  I’ve also always worried about the HOBs starting up on their own when we lose power and I’m not home.  That’s part of why I want to try sponge filters.  
Also, they’re old and the gaskets can go and leak.  

Oh Don, I like my ONE remaining HOB (mine thankfully doesn't have to be primed) and they are great filters but you are going to LOOOVVVEEE sponges. They're a game changer, really. There's nothing on them to break, other than not squeezing them out when they should be they are bullet proof. The only concern is air pumps not working (I've got back ups to those too), which is why I started running 1 sponge in each tank with traditional airpump (I have small tanks and run Tetra Whispers) and 1 in each tank with an airpump that is battery backed. No worries for me in power outages. 

Anyhow, sponges, they are the bees knees.

• Like 1