Hi! I’m Matt and I have MTS

I just wanted to say hi to everyone! I’ve been frequenting the Co op for several years now bugging @brandonnaturallyand the rest staff about anything and everything…I don’t know why I’ve never joined the forum till now after checking out the weekly updates forever! I’ve got too many tanks but still always find room for more! 😜

Happy fish keeping and I can’t wait to meet everyone!!!

Matt

0B795307-195F-4551-9FE1-C900A979FF72.jpeg

CE6DD157-0ED5-4920-B944-ACC613B12A09.jpeg

4BF246F3-2993-4961-AA89-62A4C96D5EAE.jpeg

DE675391-A292-438E-84AC-8C364238882A.jpeg

715A480F-F133-4D61-9D0E-80851B7FB7B2.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 4

How beautiful! We just added nano tank no 4 because we needed a QT tank and the previous attempts at having them became setups, haha! Your lovely cichlids make me nostalgic for the ones I kept in the 90s. Getting the itch to set up the big tanks again after seeing your pics (uhoh).

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:54 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

How beautiful! We just added nano tank no 4 because we needed a QT tank and the previous attempts at having them became setups, haha! Your lovely cichlids make me nostalgic for the ones I kept in the 90s. Getting the itch to set up the big tanks again after seeing your pics (uhoh).

Those African cichlids gave me so much grief the first year or so, so much fighting for tank boss and whatnot! Luckily they’ve seemed to have it figured out and have been happy and healthy for over a year now…. And I fully support you getting a big tank! I’m thinking of upgrading those cichlids to a 125g …which means I’ll have a 75g just sitting there waiting for something new! 😬

• Love 1

On 2/5/2022 at 3:03 PM, MattHasMTS said:

Those African cichlids gave me so much grief the first year or so, so much fighting for tank boss and whatnot! Luckily they’ve seemed to have it figured out and have been happy and healthy for over a year now…. And I fully support you getting a big tank! I’m thinking of upgrading those cichlids to a 125g …which means I’ll have a 75g just sitting there waiting for something new! 😬

They were my first ever fish in my first ever tank, which was a 55. Which soon turned into a second 55, then a 15gal hex, an old 30 gallon....LOL. It was the 90s and every week felt like Mbuna Sopranos with all the issues, so I can relate. I really loved my OB Zebras that were making babies for the LFS like clockwork!

I still have the two 55s and was thinking of setting them up again - I have a custom stand a fellow NERM built for me to use them end2end so it looks like 1 8ft tank. I want to try a SA setup for both to create the illusion of one long space - I can keep larger things on one side like your angels, maybe a geophagus, and schools of smaller tetras on the other with things that can't eat them when they grow up. 

That said, I can't tell you how often I am awed when I walk by my little 2.5gal tank in my kitchen that came home with me from my last desk job. Tons of live plants and shrimp, scuds, snails and a few endlers. So much life in a tiny box of water that is thriving! Just a different feeling than the big setups. I know the drive for bigger fish is becoming hard to resist....

• Love 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

They were my first ever fish in my first ever tank, which was a 55. Which soon turned into a second 55, then a 15gal hex, an old 30 gallon....LOL. It was the 90s and every week felt like Mbuna Sopranos with all the issues, so I can relate. I really loved my OB Zebras that were making babies for the LFS like clockwork!

I still have the two 55s and was thinking of setting them up again - I have a custom stand a fellow NERM built for me to use them end2end so it looks like 1 8ft tank. I want to try a SA setup for both to create the illusion of one long space - I can keep larger things on one side like your angels, maybe a geophagus, and schools of smaller tetras on the other with things that can't eat them when they grow up. 

That said, I can't tell you how often I am awed when I walk by my little 2.5gal tank in my kitchen that came home with me from my last desk job. Tons of live plants and shrimp, scuds, snails and a few endlers. So much life in a tiny box of water that is thriving! Just a different feeling than the big setups. I know the drive for bigger fish is becoming hard to resist....

That nano tank sounds great!

• Love 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:53 PM, Patrick_G said:

Hi Matt, I’m also a co-op local, but traffic means I don’t visit as much as I’d like. 
Your tanks look super cool, I see you don’t mess around with easy fish! Did you get the puffer from the co-op? 

Why buy easy fish when you can torture yourself instead! Haha

Yes, I actually just got that puffer from them just last week. I’ve had a little 5 gallon tank of snails running for almost a year in hopes of getting one. My wife happened to stop by the day they put it out to buy food. She sent me over there when she got home to see it and I couldn’t stop myself! I was going to add him to my 75g community tank in my den but he was too cool to not see all the time. We have a little 20g in the kitchen and I ended putting him in there so we could see him more often. It works for now but I know he’ll need a bigger tank for his forever home, so he’ll be getting upgraded soon.

• Love 1

On 2/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, HH Morant said:

@MattHasMTS, your water clarity looks very good. How do you do it?

Thanks! I think it’s mostly just keeping up with my maintenance. I gravel vac every two weeks with 30%-50% water change. For my big African cichlids I have a strong wave maker and give them a 75% water change every two weeks.