30 Gallon All-in-One

Stephen Zawacki

On 2/5/2022 at 3:08 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

My degree is construction management, and thank you. So your saying a 29 tall is good for a pair. Also would a pair of altumes be fine in that or would I have to go with like marbles or koi version. Also if that does not work what would you recommend?

It would be OK not super roomy but very tolerable for a pair at 30” long and about 18” tall.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, lefty o said:

a 29 would be okay, a 37 would be even better with it being taller.

Bigger is always better, but a 37 is a bit less common and can be harder to find (but you can always buy new) and is the same length and depth as a 29 but taller.  Taller is good for angels.  The 37 would be the same height as a 46 bowfront I think, nope, it’s a bit taller at almost 23”, 46 is a bit over 20” tall.  Loads of options once you start looking for something a bit bigger.  It’s hard to find small tanks with height.

It seems to me that regular wild type angels would be more appropriate for these size tanks. They don’t look all that different, they don’t grow as big and they’re much less expensive. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the allure of having giant Angelfish but I’d want a tank that that allows them to display as much natural behavior as possible. 

On 2/5/2022 at 1:38 PM, lefty o said:

a 29 would be okay, a 37 would be even better with it being taller.

I agree a 37 would be my choice if I didn’t have room for a 55 or 75. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 2:50 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

So what other wild types are there I never knew of any different ones would the smaller wild types be more suitable for the 29 ? The max size I can go is 33 Gallons in my house 

I’m no angelfish expert but I think most of the angelfish you see are P. scalare. They come in lots of different colors too including the wild type with the silver and black vertical stripes. P Altum are the larger species. I think they’re predominantly wild caught and only come in the wild type coloration. 

Manacapuru, Leopoldii, Altum, those are the wilds to look for. 

A Marineland or Aqueon standard 45 g would give you 21” of height and 3’ of length plenty of room for some angels. They’re cheaper than a 46 bow, easier to find then a 37, and same length as a 40 breeder but with angels needing lateral and up and down space not as much width. Also stands are easy to come by either a 40 breeder or 55 g stand would work. 6C370E70-3DEA-43EA-B3A3-54F2EAFD749E.jpeg.514953c04c30c2d1341d8d200e9a3fca.jpeg

Festivums body wise are similar to a large angel. Here’s my full grown male in his 45 g. 

• Like 2

@Stephen Zawackiyes the manacapuru tend to be more akin to the regular P. Scalare size wise but depends on some factors like if they are tank raised or true wilds in terms of size. They’re stunning. But @Patrick_Gis dead on a good group of Zebras will have a lot of that look you’re looking for at a fraction of the cost. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 6:46 PM, StevesFishTanks said:

Dean is a master breeder with most tanks on auto water changes and auto top off.  I wouldn’t put as many in a tank as he can.  He recommends 50% water changes 2-3 times a week with 2 pair in a 29 gallon in this video.  @Stephen Zawacki Save yourself some major labor and do only 1 pair for a 29.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are wanting to keep some angelfish, and have never kept angels before, I would stay away from altums for your first. 99% of the ones you will come across are wild caught, there are some tank raised available, but they are difficult to find. Over my 30+ years of fishkeeping, I have almost always had some kind of angels in at least one tank, and have kept all three species, the scalare which are what all the different varieties in the stores are, altums and leopoldi. I have spawned scalare many times, and when I was breeding them regularly, kept pairs in 20 tall tanks, which I believe @Dean’s Fishroomdoes as well. I wouldn't keep altums in that size tank though as they get quite a bit taller than the scalare types and leopoldi. Minimum I would do a pair is 29 gallon. If you still want angelfish, and like the wild altum look, I would try to find what is commonly referred to as 'Peruvian altum' which is a scalare species, or one of the manacapuru red shoulder angels. They both have the silver body with black stripes like the altum.

Thank you for the info I've kept marble angels and actually had a pair also. One question I have is when looking for a pair, of the Peruvian altumes or the manacapuru, how do I find a true pair online, also if I can't, how many juveniles would you reccomend I get then grow out and hope for a pair for my 29 ? 

• Like 1

This is not a duplicate thread I have never asked about angels, and also for a matter of fact the whole point of this forum is to ask questions to not make a wrong decision.  That’s what I’m doing.  Yes I may ask a lot of similar questions, but it is in part I don’t want to make any mistakes, so you should calm down. I’m sorry but you tell me this all the time and yes their similar but their different.  I also do my research and come hear for more advice not to get yelled at.